Hazelnut protection

Haus

5 year old buck +
I was thinking about buying some 3’ bare root hazelnuts. Should I protect the trees like you would an apple tree? How big of a diameter should the fence be around the trees? Any thing else to consider?

I haven't protected mine at all and knock on wood no issues so far, I've got around sixty in the ground now started planting them a few years ago. All are American hazelnut/filbert.
I don't have a really high deer population, they will nip a few tips on them but not enough to bother and they will eat some of the catkins when the flowers show.
Same area with chestnut trees and they will eat them into pencils.
Hazelnuts are extremely simple to grow, I have some in partial shade some in full sun both grow fine. Jap beetles get on them some if you have soybeans close but after the first year or so the growth stays ahead of the beetles.

If you have deer ... unlikely they will survive.

As you don't list your USDA zone in your avatar, have no usda what other conditions you might face ...

I will be planting a bunch of hybrid hazelnuts this year myself. Planted regular hazelnuts a number of years ago and yes deer will chew the crap out of them if you have high numbers and protection is not tall enough. I'm going to cage with 2 x 4 welded wire and with 50 ft rolls have made cuts to get 5 per roll which gives just a little over 3 ft dia. If I was using the concrete reinforcing wire which has like 6 x 6 openings I would go a little bigger to 4 ft dia since I've had some young deer able to stick their heads thru the larger openings on 3 ft dia cages and get at some apple trees. If you live in snow country or are planting on a hill make sure your cages are tall enough for snow pack or critters getting on the uphill side for a little more height advantage.

I was thinking about buying some 3’ bare root hazelnuts. Should I protect the trees like you would an apple tree? How big of a diameter should the fence be around the trees? Any thing else to consider?

I grew a bunch from seed. Didn't have time to protect them. It was a mistake. Deer hit most of them. I think I would just tube hazelnuts. If you plant a lot close together, you might consider fencing them bit for 3, I'd just tube. They are a favored browse.

Thanks,

Jack

Haus, Black bears absolutely destroy hazelnuts around here. Not sure if you have them, but to go through all of the trouble of planting, growing, protecting hazelnuts just to have bears break them in half and rip the apart is futile, IMHO. I have a high black bear densities and struggle with trees like hazelnuts and apples.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses. I am located in Eastern Iowa. Is there a best time of year to plant them? What spacing should I use for maximum nut production?

Like any other small fruit/nut tree, 10'-12' apart would be good. When the frost has left the ground probably mid April for planting where you are.

If you have squirrels/chipmunks, the deer will never see the nuts. :emoji_frowning2:

Good luck.

I am fortunate to have quite a bit of native hazel brush on my land. I have watched them as the nuts ripen hoping to pick some for my own eating. I have no idea how it happens, but when the nuts do ripen they are immediately eaten by all the critters on my land. Almost like a dinner bell was rung and the critters came to the table. It happens that fast. Usually all the nuts are gone in a day or two at the most. I have plenty of grey squirrels, pine squirrels and chipmunks on my land so I am guessing they are the main culprits. I do see the tips of the branches getting browsed by the deer throughout the year.

Like any other small fruit/nut tree, 10'-12' apart would be good. When the frost has left the ground probably mid April for planting where you are.

If you have squirrels/chipmunks, the deer will never see the nuts. :emoji_frowning2:

Good luck.

Yep! I think the deer value of hazelnut is more the browse aspect than the nuts. They will eat the nuts, but unless you have an abundance of trees, deer may get none.

Thanks,

Jack

Are there any varieties you would recommend? Or nurseries?

Are there any varieties you would recommend? Or nurseries?

I grew my own from nuts. There is a guy who uses this forum from time to time who goes by Blitz who sells the nuts. I have not purchased from him but others on here have. He has a lot of information on them. You may want to PM him for advice. Others have purchased them from nurseries and state agencies but I have not.

Thanks,

Jack