Hay field to clover plot

westonwhitetail

5 year old buck +
I have a 1.5 acre area that is hay field and want to convert to clover. I broadcasted clover seed a week and a half ago before some really good rains. I planned to spray gly that day as well, then follow up with rye later in the fall. After broadcasting, I noticed how much red clover is mixed in with the grasses already (some areas more than others). My cousin suggested just mowing it and the clover would take over. I am wondering if I should get some clethodim to ensure the grasses get a good kill this fall.

I'm not expecting much this fall, but just hoping to establish a good clover plot for the future. I will likely frost seed again in the spring. What are your guy's suggestions? Spray it or just mow it and hope clover takes over?

IMG-3748.jpgIMG-3751 (2).jpg

Yeah I want a higher percentage of clover and chicory. Thanks I’ll go with that plan then!

All things bermuda( common,coastal,etc) are of the devil to habitat guys

A virtual desert for wildlife and extremely difficult,near impossible to eradicate

bill

All things bermuda( common,coastal,etc) are of the devil to habitat guys

A virtual desert for wildlife and extremely difficult,near impossible to eradicate

bill
I’m not sure what type of grass it is. I sprayed some in another part of the field and gly worked fine. But I know it’s not great deer food so I want it gone!

Is there any issue spraying clethodim on young clover? I just broadcast seed before a rain and plan to spray in the next month to get grasses killed this fall

It can take some time to get grasses under control. Personally, I'd skip the perennial clover until you have that done. Otherwise, you will be fighting them for the life of the plot. I would spray those grasses this fall. Don't till, just surface broadcast and cultipack WR into the plot (100 lbs/ac or more) . That will be your attractant this fall. Then next spring, let the WR rob the grasses of resources. Wait until the your soil temp warms up to at least 70 degrees and surface broadcast and cultipack a heavy smother crop of buckwheat. This will give you a chance to spray in the spring if grasses are still a problem. Both WR and Buckwheat will use up use up some of the N that grasses love. Next fall, if there are grasses in the buckwheat spray again. This time add your clover and chicory to the WR. The following spring, each time the WR hits about a foot or so, mow it back to 8" to release the perennial clover.

This gives you multiple chances to spray the grass while smothering it and providing good deer food along the way. Hopefully by the time you invest in the perennial clover, the grasses won't be problematic.

Thanks Yoder. I will spread some winter rye when I spray in the next couple weeks here. I already seeded the perennial clover so I will just have to assess in the spring how the clover and grasses come back. If it’s too grassy, I can spray and spread buckwheat.

Thanks Yoder. I will spread some winter rye when I spray in the next couple weeks here. I already seeded the perennial clover so I will just have to assess in the spring how the clover and grasses come back. If it’s too grassy, I can spray and spread buckwheat.
Sounds like a plan.

Westonwhitetail,
Are you in Weston,Missouri? I was really good friends with Fred Guthrie, the water patrolman that drown up there 10 years ago.

Since you have already planted, I would spray the Cleth. Make sure you add some kind of surfactant with it. Without it, you’ll be wasting the Cleth.

Hi Nightvision, no I'm in Wisconsin, Weston is a township in Dunn County. Most people also mistake it for a Village near the center of the state here!

I'll make sure to use surfactant with the cleth, thank you