All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hawaii

D

dipper

Ive got an extra $10k to burn this year and The ole lady is getting a trip to Hawaii as a Christmas gift. As much as I would like to play with it myself, you gotta keep them happy. Plus something like this goes a long way when I'm looking to drop some land purchase bomb on her or something. I found out it is a great investment long term.
Anyway, any Hawaii experts out there? We are going off season, and I pretty much hate crowds of people. So I'm thinking October or early/mid December.
We might do a couple islands, and I'm thinking two weeks. Kauai is really appealing to me, from the little I know.

You have 10k extra? WTF? And the day after Christmas! You are a god Dipper!:D

If you have not been there before, There is so many things to do, from Pearl Harbor, Hog Hunting, Golf, Whale watching, Helicopter Tour, Lay on the beach and drink, Rock Moma's world in the Room, so many things!

If you do the Helicopter Tour, spend the $700 for 2 people and fly on a EcoStar Chopper, so smooth and quiet, it was one of the best parts of our trip for being there only once. Pearl Harbor and the Arizona can be quite an experience. Once again pay the big money for the full tour. Maui was our home Island, kauai was ok, liked our place on Maui though!

I've been working my ass off logging. I've been sitting on my top grade popple logs and the price is up considerably. I'm selling it for cash too, so it all goes into my pocket.

Did you guys go into the jungle Kauai? Backpacking? We are both adventurous people, and very active. I heard that kauai sland gets pretty remote. That's what we want. I really don't like people at all. They make me sick.

Vrbo is awesome we use it all the time. Our spring trip is a vrbo in port aransas Texas. We've had really good luck with them.

I will tell you that the Road to Hana on Maui was the road to hell during the day. Fricken traffic up the a$$ and the locals will run you of the road narrow a$$ bridges and people drive way to slow trying to see every fricken rock and flower. Stay away!

We have a time share on kauai, I will sell it to you for $10k. We loved it, very quiet, and very jungly. I haven't been to the other islands so can't compare for you, if you can spurge for first class tickets that 8 hr flight is a long one

Our condo was owned by my Accountant so we lived there free. We flew one stop out and back from MN. Booked Coach and upgraded to first class for a $100 each on 3 of the four legs of our trip. Saved big time on the flights and got to the good seats with free beer and a great 5 course dinner each time!

My brother in law got married there a few years ago. We stayed on Kauai for a few days, and the big island the last part. I liked Kauai, I don't like people either, it was pretty remote. A lot of movies are filmed there.The smiths luau/ buffet dinner was pretty cool. We rented a Harley and cruised most of the island, a great way to see everything. I didn't really care for the big island much, except the park with the active volcano and lava tubes were worth checking out if you like hiking. We went to the "green sand beach" I guess the only one in the world. It was kinda cool, but it was a good hike. The helicopter ride on the big island was everybodys favorite, but I didn't go due to the $800 hr price tag. It was a really cool place to see in all. The only bad thing, is the prices are high on everything. Expect to pay $15-20 just for a hamburger at a restaurant.

Dipper- my wife and I have been there 4 times. We have been to the big island, Maui, and Oahu. I haven't been to Kauai yet but I heard it can be quite rainy there. This is the best option for staying away from people, but there is so much to more fore you to see if you want to venture out. No matter where I've been, I've been able to stay away from people if I wanted to. By the sounds of it... I think you would like Kauai, and the Big Island. I can help you out with a lot of information.

I found myself the most annoyed on Oahu around Wai ki ki beach. Too many folks from other countries not knowing what the heck is going on.

Kauai is really quite. I mean really quite. Maui has the best all around experience in my opinion and you can fly directly from the mainland. All of the Islands are scenic. Oahu is a bit too populated for me. 10K might last 2 weeks , depends. I could be a travel agent for Maui. If you decide on Maui, I can give you some tips for a great experience. Basically, hard to go wrong with a Hawaii vacation.

Favorite thing to do is spear fishing in Maui. I asked a local about hunting there and they told me to make sure I hired a reputable guide so I wouldn't run into someone's green field. And when they mean green field, they're not talking clover and alfalfa. ;) They told me I might not make it out alive if I stumble upon one of these fields.

Go to Belize...it's cheaper. English is spoken almost everywhere it's a former British Colony. The dollar goes really far. Stay somewhere on ambergris caye north of San Pedro. Take day trips to other islands and back to the main land for Mayan ruins deep in the jungle. World class fishing. Worlds second largest barrier reef for snorkeling and scuba.

I hear what you're saying Phil but, there's just nothing like Hawaii. Maybe Bora Bora, but that's 20K.

We stopped by through Belize on a cruise.. It is nice Phil. I have co-workers that travel there every year.

To save money, we find the costco and get steaks, fish, groceries, drinks, snacks, etc. we still go out to eat, just not every day. Also the gas for rental cars is WAY cheaper at costco. We rent a car and drive a lot. Especially on the big island. You can put some miles on there.

For the record. I have never, ever tried saving money while on vacation so maybe I'm biased. I enjoy everything, and worry about it later. LOL. I have found it to be so much more enjoyable not worrying about a budget whilst I relax.

My wife and have been to Kauai twice and other islands in Hawaii 7 times total. Kauai is by far the nicest. Tunnels beach on the north shore is great. Book a helicopter tour along the napali coast. One place we went thru has no doors on their helicopters. What a rush and the way to go! Very very quiet on Kauai. Get the tour book Kauai Revealed. It will save you a ton of time on what to do and what not to do. Lots of hiking. Can either do jungle type or hiking on the west side (dry side). Their is an EXCELLENT 8 mile round trip hike that goes across a swamp at 4000 feet in the mountains. It is on a boardwalk. Worth the time. The sight at the end is unbelievable. Just so you know, there is virtually no night life in Hawaii. When the sun comes up things happen and when the sun goes down the day is over. Coming from Minnesota you can't believe how laid back the people are there. They will close down a business for no reason in the middle of the day. We are going to the big island this fall because it's the only one we have not went to, but Kauai is by far the best one to go. We tend to go on the less expensive side for traveling and 1 week usually runs us for everything about $3700 for airfare,car, motel, food, and 1 spendy type adventure. You could go for a 3 weeks to a month on $10000 if you planned it right.