Have you checked your MaM lately?

Tap

5 year old buck +
It could be a scene from a horror movie...
The phone rings and a spooky voice says "Have you checked your Mile a Minute lately?" Then 《click》...dial tone.
Horror movie? You're half right...but this ain't a movie, and MaM is a horror.
I went out to pull some camera cards the other day and I was blown away at how fast this crap goes from 1 foot, to smothering 20 foot trees. Pears, apples, crabs, dogwood, you name it. MaM will climb and smother it. The bad news is that the stuff it climbs is often desirable stuff so we can't spray it.

The reason I asked if you checked your MaM lately is because you gotta stop the stuff from producing berries (the seed that remains viable for 6 or 7 years).
In my area, MaM is just beginning to flower, and it goes from flower to berry to seed, FAST!
So get on the shi+ before it can make seed.

Last year, I tore the stuff down with gloved hands and short sleeved shirt... short sleeved because the stuff clings to clothing. The barbs ripped my arms raw.
I have a better device this year. I took a junky hand saw and duct taped it to a handle from a broken snow shovel. The handle allows me to reach into the tangle of MaM, raspberry, multiflora rose, and a bunch of other stuff. I hook the MaM vines with the saw teeth and rip the stuff out. I tore down thousands of vines today in just a couple hours, and with a lot less blood shed than last year. My home made tool works great, except I got a little rough with it and the tape tore. When I fix it, I will first wire tie the saw to the handle, then tape it. I'm sure it will hold up.

I have several more hours of ripping down the MaM to put a dent in it, but it HAS to be done. I can't let it go to seed. If your property has MaM, you can't let yours go to seed either.
Have you checked it lately?

This is just one of hundreds of my crabs that MaM is trying to smother...my home made ripper in the pic.
daafda6453a08513ea3c9201cde454d7.jpg

Here's the "after" pic. These MaM won't be producing seed here. My broken ripper in the pic... Nothing some wire ties and more duct tape can't fix.
Check out the size of that pile of rippings. That all came off just one single crab. Those vines would have made hundreds, if not thousands of seeds... As Inspector Clouseau once said... "Not anymore".
Kill this shi+ or you'll be sorry
37479a725ae1730dc6536fea08bea54e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I gotta find more bugs.
At the farm now. Maybe next week. It's been a crazy summer for me.

Are there holes in some of those leaves? Shake them for bugs before ripping them down. Put a big tote under them and look for MAM weevils.

I gotta find more bugs.
At the farm now. Maybe next week. It's been a crazy summer for me.

Are there holes in some of those leaves? Shake them for bugs before ripping them down. Put a big tote under them and look for MAM weevils.
Yes there are some that have been eaten. I do see a few Jap Beetles on them. I've read that they eat MaM, but not to the point of reducing the infestation.
I suspect that I may have a small population of weevils, but, as of now, they aren't numerous enough to stay ahead of the MaM. I have no idea how fast a few weevils can multiply into a force that can eliminate MaM.
I'm sure that if I didn't want the weevils, they would spread like lightning...kinda like gypsy moths. I hope weevils are horny little buggers.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk