Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone! Hope you all get to spend a great day with friends and family..our 7 month old came down with the stomach bug last night so we get to spend some good family time at home!

Happy Thanksgiving all! I'm about to head over to my 95 year young grangmaw's for lunch followed by an apple pie made just for me. I'll share of course.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Happy Thanksgiving all!

Attachments

• 316422574_5954455051285019_7511425039527138901_n.jpeg
    316422574_5954455051285019_7511425039527138901_n.jpeg
    170.4 KB · Views: 9
I, for one, know I need to spend more than just this one day giving thanks for the bounty and greatness that surrounds me.
Family left to my own personal wonderment, I spent this morning just looking at plans I made over 10-years ago - plans for habitat improvement, self-improvement, retirement planning. I'm thankful for the ability to do all of that and grateful I live in a place when I can accomplish (most) of my plan.

Being in the food production (and personal consumption of more than my share) business - from the farm to your plate, I often marvel at the number of food choices we have. I like to think of peas - as an example. Walk into a grocery store and start counting the number of ways you can buy green peas. I won't go GUMP and list all of them but just think about it. Substitute any other food and do the same. I am thankful for the richness.

This morning I was looking at the 1900 Census of Agriculture - don't ask. It counts the number of horses and burrows and horses...but no tractors. To feed those animals we planted 10's of millions of acres of oats. Today I marvel at where we are compared to where we were over a hundred years ago. Yes, it still needs some management and improvement but agriculturalists around the world feed over 8 billion people.

At the same time I am thankful, I am also somewhat saddened by the - how to say this - dumbing down of America. Let me explain. Virginia will NEVER be known as a corn producing state. We don't have the climate or soils for it. In 1900 the census says farmers planted nearly 3-million acres with an average yield of 49 bushels (all from memory - forgive me). I didn't think to look at yield in Iowa or Illinois but I'd bet it was less than 100 bu / acre.

Today? Here in my state the average yield is something over 160 but on only something over half a million acres. Out there in the heartland is magnitudes higher! Nearly all of the breeding and research that leads to this increase was conducted by public universities funded by tax payers --- but with the genetics residing in the public domain. In that scenario everyone benefits. Today it's much different.

It's a great place where we are. We have our differences but we can be thankful for the opportunity to share thoughts and ideas.

And finally, I'm thankful for each of you on this forum. This is an amazing place filled with marvelous contributors and thoughtful readers who independently come here looking for ideas and advice. This is a civil place. The knowledge and the scarce ability to convey knowledge is unreplicated.

May yours be a day filled with happiness all-the-while giving thanks where it is appropriate and then receiving the same - humbly and with gratitude.

Grace of our Lord, the Love of God, and the Power of the Holy Spirit be with you all....

I, for one, know I need to spend more than just this one day giving thanks for the bounty and greatness that surrounds me.
Family left to my own personal wonderment, I spent this morning just looking at plans I made over 10-years ago - plans for habitat improvement, self-improvement, retirement planning. I'm thankful for the ability to do all of that and grateful I live in a place when I can accomplish (most) of my plan.

Being in the food production (and personal consumption of more than my share) business - from the farm to your plate, I often marvel at the number of food choices we have. I like to think of peas - as an example. Walk into a grocery store and start counting the number of ways you can buy green peas. I won't go GUMP and list all of them but just think about it. Substitute any other food and do the same. I am thankful for the richness.

This morning I was looking at the 1900 Census of Agriculture - don't ask. It counts the number of horses and burrows and horses...but no tractors. To feed those animals we planted 10's of millions of acres of oats. Today I marvel at where we are compared to where we were over a hundred years ago. Yes, it still needs some management and improvement but agriculturalists around the world feed over 8 billion people.

At the same time I am thankful, I am also somewhat saddened by the - how to say this - dumbing down of America. Let me explain. Virginia will NEVER be known as a corn producing state. We don't have the climate or soils for it. In 1900 the census says farmers planted nearly 3-million acres with an average yield of 49 bushels (all from memory - forgive me). I didn't think to look at yield in Iowa or Illinois but I'd bet it was less than 100 bu / acre.

Today? Here in my state the average yield is something over 160 but on only something over half a million acres. Out there in the heartland is magnitudes higher! Nearly all of the breeding and research that leads to this increase was conducted by public universities funded by tax payers --- but with the genetics residing in the public domain. In that scenario everyone benefits. Today it's much different.

It's a great place where we are. We have our differences but we can be thankful for the opportunity to share thoughts and ideas.

And finally, I'm thankful for each of you on this forum. This is an amazing place filled with marvelous contributors and thoughtful readers who independently come here looking for ideas and advice. This is a civil place. The knowledge and the scarce ability to convey knowledge is unreplicated.

May yours be a day filled with happiness all-the-while giving thanks where it is appropriate and then receiving the same - humbly and with gratitude.

Grace of our Lord, the Love of God, and the Power of the Holy Spirit be with you all....

I agree with all of what you posted. We need to be thankful and think of those with so much less. I pray for the people of Ukraine and the soldiers on the ground from both sides. They face a tough winter. Every soldier faces tough times at war.

Concerning crop yield, my farm had a corn base of 68 bushels per acre when we bought it. My renter had a yield of 220 bushels this year which was an exceptional year.

The public that attacks modern farming for energy use and for greenhouse gases doesn’t realize how efficient modern farmers are. This intensive farming allows other acres to be hunting lands and planted to grasses or trees that might help global warming if you follow their line of thinking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy Thanksgiving from our house!
Two new Grandsons make me feel truly blessed this year.
Word on the street is that your grandson in that pic learned his eating habits from Grandpa!!!!! Kids are JUST THE BEST!!! Put your fingerprints all over them, Grandpa!!! Congrats and enjoy the daylights out of them.