Hanging deer

Barndog56

5 year old buck +
Just got this doe last night. Double lung shot and was easy to find. I had her gutted and drug to the truck by closing time.

The initial plan was to hang for 2 nights and cut her up myself on Friday. Temperature right now is 33, with today's high at 44. All good there, but it's supposed to get down to 26 tonight.

Will that low overnight temp hurt the meat?
20191023_174141.jpg

First off congratulations. Will you be hanging her in a garage or shed or outside?

First off, I would be more worried about temps above 42 F and the internal temp of the deer meat. Any temp above 42 accelerates bacteria growth.

Make sure the deer cavity cools by putting a bag of ice in the chest.

If you washed the interior cavity down, wipe it down to dry it out as moisture promotes bacteria.

Congrats!

If the meat freezes it will likely get "damaged". That is to say that freezing meat more than once can give it a mushy texture, especially if it freezes slowly.

She's hanging outside right now. I could move her inside my pole building if that would help overnight.

I hosed her off and dryed her last night when I first hung her.

High temp for today is 44, but she's in the shade so shouldn't get that warm.

I prefer an uninsulated garage or shed. No sun and the temperature range throughout the day is smaller than outside on most days in the fall. It takes longer to warm up inside during the day and doesn't get as cold at night. If you got her cooled off last night I wouldn't be too worried about 44 today in part because it won't be that temp for very long since it's going to get cold tonight.

Just got this doe last night. Double lung shot and was easy to find. I had her gutted and drug to the truck by closing time.

The initial plan was to hang for 2 nights and cut her up myself on Friday. Temperature right now is 33, with today's high at 44. All good there, but it's supposed to get down to 26 tonight.

Will that low overnight temp hurt the meat?
View attachment 26780
Congrats!

Freezing won't "hurt" the meat, but temps above about 38 degrees will increase bacterial development which leads to spoilage. The general purpose of hanging deer is to allow the natural enzymes inside the meat to begin to break down muscle which has the effect of tenderizing the meat. The optimal temps is about 34 to 36 degrees. This is cold enough to deter most bacterial development while allowing the enzymes to do their job. This is how they age beef. Think of the Rocky movie with the sides of beef hanging in the cooler.

Freezing temps will have the same effect as freezing does when you store meat in your freezer.

Thanks,

Jack

U would be fine hanging for 2 days at those temps in a closed shed.

But it's looking like I'm the odd man out.
Personally dont like hanging deer.

As soon as they hit the ground they are field dressed and stuffed with ice.
If shot in the AM, they r butchered as soon as I get home, PM, left till morning, then butchered. Taking work off if necessary.
Or if I'm in a pinch, will take it to a trusted butcher/friend.

I like to hang my deer as long as possible. It sounds gross but, aging meet isn't much more than letting the bacteria break the meat down to tenderize it. Everyone is different but I eat all my red meat next to raw whether its deer or beef and i've never had a bad experience with it.

My favorite way to grill a steak- 1: take it out of the freezer 2: put it in the frige and ignore it for a week or just over 3: grill it hot and fast 4: eat the best steak you've ever eaten.

I like to hang my deer as long as possible. It sounds gross but, aging meet isn't much more than letting the bacteria break the meat down to tenderize it. Everyone is different but I eat all my red meat next to raw whether its deer or beef and i've never had a bad experience with it.

My favorite way to grill a steak- 1: take it out of the freezer 2: put it in the fridge and ignore it for a week or just over 3: grill it hot and fast 4: eat the best steak you've ever eaten.

You got it wrong. Bacteria causes spoilage. It is the enzymes internal to the meat that breaks down muscle tissue. That is why we can eat steak very rare but hamburger needs to be cooked through to kill bacteria. Bacteria does not penetrate the muscle. It forms on the outside. When you cook a steak, you simply need to kill the bacteria on the surface. When we grind meat, we mix the bacteria from the outside with all of the meat so the internal temperature of ground meat needs to kill that bacteria when cooking.

If meat is kept at warm temperatures long enough where bacteria can grow, it will spoil the meat from the outside in.

Thanks,

Jack

Good to know.

Where bacteria is present in meat that is ground,

Is the salty cure used to make many processed meats enough to kill bacteria?

Is the smoking process hot enough to kill any bacteria?

If not and I know everyone is different, How much bacteria is needed to make someone sick? My family (on my mothers side) has a "iron" stomach. We can eat anything without ill effects.

Congrats on the deer!
Those temps you should be fine, especially with hide still on.

U would be fine hanging for 2 days at those temps in a closed shed.

But it's looking like I'm the odd man out.
Personally dont like hanging deer.

As soon as they hit the ground they are field dressed and stuffed with ice.
If shot in the AM, they r butchered as soon as I get home, PM, left till morning, then butchered. Taking work off if necessary.
Or if I'm in a pinch, will take it to a trusted butcher/friend.

I’m the same, I gut it immediately... get it home and hung, then skin and butcher while it’s still warm. Then bagged or wrapped and into the freezer.
As small as deer are I’m not sure the hanging does that much like it does for beef. We usually cook and eat the inside loins while butchering the deer up.

If the hide is left on a hanging deer low temps will not hurt the meat, no. Once the hide is removed and exposed to oxygen and freezing temps. the meat will begin to discolor and get a little "spongy" feeling. I'm fond of hanging a deer for as long as temps. will allow. But once the hide comes off, I like to have it completely butchered within hours.

Interesting. I always get the hide off as soon as possible, to help cool the meat down.

I know hanging and aging is a viable way to do it, but when I get em killed, it's hide off and deboned as soon as I can.

Don't usually handle mine as there's some folks around here that'll skin, debone, and grind for almost nothing. When I come home saturday night at 10 PM, I don't feel like processing a deer.

Probably should tho to show my boys how it's done

Interesting. I always get the hide off as soon as possible, to help cool the meat down.

Could be just a regional difference. Where I'm at in New England with a late October bow opener, temperatures are almost always conducive to hanging a deer in my garage with the hide on. If anything, I turn a little heat on just to prevent it from freezing solid. But yes, if I lived in a warmer area or in an area that had an early Sept. season I'm sure getting the hide off and getting the meat off the bone ASAP is the way to go.

Good to know.

Where bacteria is present in meat that is ground,

Is the salty cure used to make many processed meats enough to kill bacteria?

Is the smoking process hot enough to kill any bacteria?

If not and I know everyone is different, How much bacteria is needed to make someone sick? My family (on my mothers side) has a "iron" stomach. We can eat anything without ill effects.

Bacteria is transferred to the meat as we rag and clean the deer. It gets transferred to the outside of the deer, not inside the meat. Bacteria lives on our skin as well as on the hide and hair of deer. Most bacteria is not a pathogen but some is. E.coli is one example of a bacteria that is a pathogen to humans. Once we skin a deer bacteria in small numbers can be transferred to the outside of the deer. Some may be pathogens. Washing the carcass with clean water can help. When we hang a deer, warm and moist conditions can create an environment where bacteria can multiply.

So, now we have a deer ready to butcher. If we have kept it clean and kept temperatures below about 38 degrees, there has been little opportunity for bacteria to grow or multiply but there is likely some on the outside of the carcass. If temps have gotten warmer, any pathogenic bacteria may have had a chance to multiply. From this point on, during the butchering process, bacteria is transferred from place to place by contact. So, when we cut stakes, there is a possibility of bacteria being transferred to the outside of the stake from the blade of the knife or saw. When kept for a week or so in the fridge or if frozen, that bacteria will not multiply significantly. So, when we cook a stake, we just need to kill the bacteria on the outside of the stake. Bacteria has not penetrated the meat muscle.

Back during the butchering process, we've got chunks of meat that have been cut off the bone and the outside of those chunks can have bacteria transferred by the blade. However, if we grind those, now the outside gets mixed with the inside. So, with a burger, you can have bacteria inside the patty as well as on the outside. With a burger you need the internal temperature to get high enough to kill the bacteria, not just the external temperature. The temperature that will kill bacteria depends on the bacteria. E.coli which was the culprit in the "Jack in The Box" case will die at about 155 degrees, so they say cooking a burger to 160 degrees internal temperature is pretty safe.

Yes, there are other ways to preserve meat besides refrigeration. When I make jerky, they have a cure that you add to the grinding process that is a preservative. I believe smoking is another way to cure meat, but I'm don't know the ins and outs of how long each preservation technique lasts.

As for the "how much bacteria", it really depends on the specifics of the bacteria, as well as the immune system of the person.

Keep in mind, we are talking about "best practices" here. If you do most of the things right, chances of illness from meat is pretty low, whether you process it yourself or a butcher does. The guy at real risk is the one who shoots a deer in early archery season, the arrow goes through the paunch, does not recover it until the next morning, drags it for a mile through a creek, and then straps it to the hood of his car. He is too tired to deal with it that night and just hangs it in the garage for a day or two before cutting it up.

I don't at all mean to make anyone fearful of eating venison. I'm simply trying to make sure guys new to all this understand the best practices and why they are protective.

I've had a lot of folks tell me they don't eat venison because of the "gamy taste". I've then had them over for dinner and served venison and had them ask "where did you get those great stakes?" I'd then tell them it was venison. That thing folks refer to at the "gamy taste" usually comes from slightly tainted meat resulting from poor game care.

Thanks,

Jack

Could be just a regional difference. Where I'm at in New England with a late October bow opener, temperatures are almost always conducive to hanging a deer in my garage with the hide on. If anything, I turn a little heat on just to prevent it from freezing solid. But yes, if I lived in a warmer area or in an area that had an early Sept. season I'm sure getting the hide off and getting the meat off the bone ASAP is the way to go.

Makes sense.

I never hunted Ohio in September. But even for the January muzzle loader season i remember skinning the deer straight away.

My friends in Ontario leave the hides on till they are done hunting.

Could well be regional differences.

Where I live now everyone skins deer immediately and hangs them for a period of day-degrees in a garage, barn, or walk-in cold room.

I skin mine as soon as I get them back to the barn here. As you say, it is location dependent. Here, getting heat out of the body cavity as soon as possible is important. We can get warm days in muzzleloader and even into firearm season. I also immediately put them in the cooler after skinning and quartering. One of the poorest practices is to skin them and let them hang outside in warm weather. This allows flies to contact the meat and transfer bacteria quite easily. In colder climates insects are gone by deer season. When I lived in PA, it was cold enough that hanging deer outside with skin on was a common practice.

I skin and quarter the day of, but i’ll let it age in the fridge for several days. Then butcher as I have time the next week. Aging makes a difference, everyone should try it, whether you let it hang and do it in the fridge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk