Growing your own mushrooms in SW Wisconsin

ajtxwi

5 year old buck +
I have heard that with the right mushroom "kit" and the right type of wood, you can drill holes in the log, "plant" the spores and grow your own mushrooms. Anyone have any success or recommendations for the right supplier of mushroom growing kits and a particular type of log to grow them in?

You can do it. Different mushrooms like different types of trees. I would find out what kind of trees you have available and then pick your favorite mushrooms from the list of options for the type of wood you have access to. Shiitake and oysters are pretty easy. Some people like lion's mane, but it can be a lot of work. Wine caps will grow in the ground with added wood chips. Anything specific you want to grow?

You can do it. Different mushrooms like different types of trees. I would find out what kind of trees you have available and then pick your favorite mushrooms from the list of options for the type of wood you have access to. Shiitake and oysters are pretty easy. Some people like lion's mane, but it can be a lot of work. Wine caps will grow in the ground with added wood chips. Anything specific you want to grow?

Morels

Thank you for your response - Not really sure I like a particular kind of mushroom... my wife will probably have stronger opinions! Mostly, just getting started with the idea as we love them on salads, pizza and mixed in with pesto and pasta. We recently acquired a larger property and started a large garden and wanted to supplement our efforts with mushrooms. As for trees, we have oak, hickory, maple, box elder, ash, elm, cherry, mulberry, and black walnut. Would like something simple. Gathering information on what might grow well in SW Wisconsin. We did actually find a couple of morels last year and those were pretty good served as a side but understand that you really cannot grow them - you just have to find them.

understand the "nope" response is mostly to the idea that while morels are good to eat, you cannot "grow" them - you have to find them.

understand the "nope" response is mostly to the idea that while morels are good to eat, you cannot "grow" them - you have to find them.
That's exactly what I meant. Morels are outstanding table fair but can't be grown.
Internet mushroom kits. They can be bought based on region, wood, and months you want them to bloom/flush.

That's exactly what I meant. Morels are outstanding table fair but can't be grown.
Internet mushroom kits. They can be bought based on region, wood, and months you want them to bloom/flush.
I think you nailed it... region is Midwest, I have lots of wood (but not sure what is the right kind) and in a perfect world, maybe I could get a few different kinds of mushrooms that would bloom starting in April / May and stop September / October. I had read a bit about the right wood, but have not looked into timing and region yet. Thank you.

You can grow kits indoors also. They sell bags with substrate that's inoculated. Might be a good start to the hobby.

Start here.

I’ve been growing shiitake on oak for years. Switched to sweetgum a couple years ago since my new place it polluted with them.

Grew oysters on tulip poplar starting last year.

Between what I find in the wild, which is mostly chanterelles, and growing them I have not bought mushrooms in years.

Start here.

I’ve been growing shiitake on oak for years. Switched to sweetgum a couple years ago since my new place it polluted with them.

Between what I find in the wild, which is mostly chanterelles, and growing them I have not bought mushrooms in years.
C4E3E834-D5F4-4442-9577-6D0B5F487791.jpeg

You can grow kits indoors also. They sell bags with substrate that's inoculated. Might be a good start to the hobby.
links to these kits?

links to these kits?
Dig through this one a little. I haven't ordered from them but the page looks like it is pretty explanatory.

This one looks like fun. They send you a different kit every month.

Start here.

Awsome! I'll check out FieldForest next. I have lots of oak and some poplar.

Wow! Your Shiitake look great! Are they upright all the time or is that just for harvesting?

Dig through this one a little. I haven't ordered from them but the page looks like it is pretty explanatory.

This one looks like fun. They send you a different kit every month.
is some of my searches, I ran across Northspore and wondered if mushrooms out of Maine were appropriate for Wisconsin (a little further south). Someone mentioned here about having the right mushroom for the right region. Any experience in this area?

Wow! Your Shiitake look great! Are they upright all the time or is that just for harvesting?
That was how I kept then initially. I now keep a log cabin type of stack to save space. I do prefer the upright but I have too many logs for that.

That was how I kept then initially. I now keep a log cabin type of stack to save space. I do prefer the upright but I have too many logs for that.
makes sense - I appreciate the photos.

Field and Forest is a great source. By far the biggest bang for the buck (and effort) is the Wine Cap Stropharia spawn, which you mix into wood chips. Do it once you'll find them popping up wherever you have wood chips (and other places too). I was also successful innoculating logs with shiitake, nameko and oyster mushrooms, but it is pretty tedious. No luck with maitake or the hericum species.