Growing thoughts: What are you worried about this season?

Hunting, food plots, deer etc, etc, are my escape from life's "worries". I can't do a darn thing about drought, ehd, cwd, & the way a state "manages it's deer herd, etc., so why worry about it? I grew up in a family of "worry-er's", Instead of trusting the Lord, they worried. Didn't do one bit of good. In fact, they suffered for it. I vowed a long time ago not to worry about much. Don't get me wrong, I have concern's about our country, my kids, health, etc. , but I've chosen to have faith. In the big scheme of things, food plots & ehd are really not that important.
i was worried about EHD in september. Went through the hudson valley area of NY. Used to see 10-15 deer going down my road heading to work. The herd did suffer, but wasn't decimated. You take goo care of your land, you still get a decent number in. Still got a gang orf 7-10 in my backyard food plot every dusk. Neighbors are complaining, but I did something for the deer to make my area more attractive. Probably gonna be 2 years before good horns come back to the area.

I've dealt with ehd die offs when I was working. Deer have always bounced back in a relatively short amount of time.

I worry about what will be planted in the adjacent farm fields this year. Whatever it was last year, not corn or beans, was of zero attraction to the deer in the fall and my property being bedding and transition suffered greatly.

Now I'm worried I'm gonna get my air seeder buried in the snow-mud this weekend when I'm trying plant my cool season seeds.

Getting tractor access via neighbors to the other side of the river now that I have a tractor.

Not completely botching the creation of new foodplots out of old fallow hay ground.

Hoping the new drill actually gets delivered in time for fall planting.

I'm worried that I'm not going to be able to move after I plant all the trees I ordered this year and that my job is going to give me an aneurysm before hunting season begins.

I'm looking forward to a fun season of plotting and planting. I've got a new NT Drill and a new (to me) NT Tree Planter. Im hoping I get everything to me in time to try it out.

The ONLY thing I'm worried about GROWING is my little girl. She'll be 10 this year. It seems like she was 2 just yesterday. This season she can deer hunt with me in MN and Wisconsin. We're going to start turkey hunting in a couple weeks here in MN. She's got her own custom purple call I made her and she's excited, although I think she just says that because she knows it makes me happy.

I was walking my little dog, Perkins, today down a trail in the "back yard" that i've walked a thousand times. I tripped on something this time. It was a shed antler. Its laying tines down in the dirt almost completely buried. Its froze in and I cant budge it so ill wait. I sat there looking at what I could see of the beam, examining what deer it may have been, and from when. In March of 2014 I had my little girl, 1 1/2 at the time, in a back pack carrier to look for sheds out on our property. Together we stumbled across a side of the best buck at the time, one id been looking for. That was the 1st antler I ever found with her! She was my good luck charm! We've found most of the biggest sheds together since then, I almost only find them when I'm with her.
This shed today, buried in the mud, with more cracks and discolorations, much like myself, than when it was left there. Its the match to the shed my Lyti and I found over 8 years ago. Its been there the whole time, waiting for us to find it, to bring a match together once again, to make another memory.

So that old, cracked, green deer horn that I haven't even unearthed yet made me reflect on that memory for a while.

The only thing I'm worried about growing is her... I don't want to miss a moment. Thank God I've been blessed with so many good ones already, and look forward to so many more.

I'm looking forward to a fun season of plotting and planting. I've got a new NT Drill and a new (to me) NT Tree Planter. Im hoping I get everything to me in time to try it out.

The ONLY thing I'm worried about GROWING is my little girl. She'll be 10 this year. It seems like she was 2 just yesterday. This season she can deer hunt with me in MN and Wisconsin. We're going to start turkey hunting in a couple weeks here in MN. She's got her own custom purple call I made her and she's excited, although I think she just says that because she knows it makes me happy.

I was walking my little dog, Perkins, today down a trail in the "back yard" that i've walked a thousand times. I tripped on something this time. It was a shed antler. Its laying tines down in the dirt almost completely buried. Its froze in and I cant budge it so ill wait. I sat there looking at what I could see of the beam, examining what deer it may have been, and from when. In March of 2014 I had my little girl, 1 1/2 at the time, in a back pack carrier to look for sheds out on our property. Together we stumbled across a side of the best buck at the time, one id been looking for. That was the 1st antler I ever found with her! She was my good luck charm! We've found most of the biggest sheds together since then, I almost only find them when I'm with her.
This shed today, buried in the mud, with more cracks and discolorations, much like myself, than when it was left there. Its the match to the shed my Lyti and I found over 8 years ago. Its been there the whole time, waiting for us to find it, to bring a match together once again, to make another memory.

So that old, cracked, green deer horn that I haven't even unearthed yet made me reflect on that memory for a while.

The only thing I'm worried about growing is her... I don't want to miss a moment. Thank God I've been blessed with so many good ones already, and look forward to so many more.
great story

Children aren't gifts from God, they are a loan

enjoy

bill

Great points Swiffy. My kids are all grown and out of the house. They rarely have time to do the small things in life anymore with their own busy life’s, and kids. I get my grand kids every once in a while, and I try to pass the outdoor adventures to them.

Kids grow up so fast, then they end up with their own busy life’s, how dare they!

Any of you dry guys take the opportunity to go dig your low spots even deeper when it's dry?

That's the one thing I'm going to take advantage of if it is dry again this year. I've got a small (very small) pond I started digging last year, and ran out of time to finish. I wanna get back and get that thing down to about 6' and widen it out enough so it don't back slide too much. Come to think of it, I might get to see that this weekend with water in it for the first time. It probably won't last long given how dry it is underneath it all.

I have worried about the legality of those things.

I do remember one young guy with a shovel, decades back...,,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Excellent Post Swiffy,

My little guy just turned 5 and I can relate very well. He's pretty much attached to my hip. He ran the Impact gun for me working on the planter for almost 3 hrs this past weekend. Has his own real small spade for helping dig in trees. The deer in my avatar can be contributed to him telling me I should go hunting that evening. It was a last minute decision.

The chores are a lot more fun when I slow them down to his pace and just enjoy it. Easier said than done some days though, I hate to admit.

AWWWW my baby-girl (I jokingly refer to people as my son) will be 17 in a couple of months so I am definitely with you guys there.

Hello, my name is Daron and I have an addiction.

My (habitat) worries this year are that I ordered more trees than I have room to plant... again. Every darn year I do my best to take a chainsaw to the woods I have, to make room to plant more trees. I wish I could find someone that would clearcut every tree that don't produce a nut or berry and keep the lumber for free, but everyone I have had stop up and look says they are too young to harvest and not worth their time. I just don't have the time, nor do I have the younger me body and I am not waiting 10-15 years to plant more trees so I drop or hinge them to get sunlight to the ground to feed my habitat addiction.