Growing apples from seed variability

Bszweda

5 year old buck +
I walk by this apple tree every day. It appears to be a grafted dual apple tree. Iam thinking about taking some apples and trying to grow them from seed. If these grow from seed will there drop time be similar or is it a complete crapshoot?
22D25507-7F52-4876-80D5-640B37C09AB4.jpeg

Probably has better than random chance that it will have a similar drop time as ONE of the two parents... but still a crap shoot.

Take a pic of the bottom of the tree and where the varieties vary.

IF there's a grafting scar, its a real crap shoot. IF it is a grafted tree, but was grafted too high, you can have both rootstock and grafted variety there.

I have not succesfully grew a tree from seed, but I read on here a few things.

Score the seed a bit, put it on the ground in the fall, cover it with a bit of sand, and cover iwith a window screen to prevent critters from messing with it.

Bareroot stock is about 4 dollars a tree. Buy some and graft that tree to them. It'll be years quicker for results that way.

You can improve your odd of getting the same drop time by cloning the tree. One way is to pick apples and start them from seed. Then go back to the parent tree and collect scions and graft them. Probably a better idea is to find out what rootstock is well suited for your soil and climate (ask local orchards what rootstock they use). Buy some semi-dwarf root stock and take scions from those trees and graft them to the rootstock.

Thaks,

Jack