GRIN Scion wood

aerospacefarmer

5 year old buck +
I got my GRIN scions about 2 weeks ago after just ordering them 10 days before just 3 days before the deadline and I got all 9 varieties. How did everyone else make out besides you Buckvelvet lol. I think I will start grafting to a few of my failed grafts from last year.

Just a note. I was not able to find the online form or it wasn't working but I had a letter from last year with a fax number so I faxed it 3 days before deadline then mailed it saying I had faxed and it worked !!!!!! I love getting stuff free from the government lol

I ordered online in early January. I got mine last week. Most look great. 3 or 4 varieties are so small it will be hard to graft them.

Apparently my order got screwed up so I got shut out. I'll send my AERO order for approval instead.

I'm worried. Ordered my scion in August and got a conformation email shortly there after. Haven't seen any scion yet. :eek::eek:

I just read that letter again and it says the scion wood can be shipped out until March so keep the faith. Sorry to hear that Matt

Not sure I understand how orders are filled. I ordered last fall, called to check to on my order maybe a month ago and the lady said they had it and I was good to go. I havent received my wood yet.:rolleyes:

Here's some more info folks. So i put in another order sunday just for the heck of it. Well today a lady emailed me and said sorry too late. I asked her if she found my old order from august anywhere in the system, she said no and she could process my order in august or wait until next year. Then i passed the ladies contact info to Buckvelvet, I believe the response back was she found his order, and they were in the process of filling like 375 orders, so keep the faith people. Just because you dont have wood yet doesnt mean you are denied. It's likely still coming.

As for my order, well it was my first time ordering and honestly i've been so stinking busy with work and family the past 6 months, I havent had time to focus on anything. The good thing is though, I have plenty of my own scionwood, and i've made some amazing friends on this board over the years who I continue to trade with, so really for me it's not a big deal.

WHen all also fails, graft more liberty. :)

Just receved a UPS delivery notice, USDA scion is arriving tomorrow.

I got my scion wood from them about 2 weeks ago now. I placed my order in December. This was my first time requesting so I wasn't sure how it would work but it was pretty simple and I got all 18 varieties I requested. Maybe it was beginners luck?

You guys are all making me nervous even though I checked on my order awhile back! Wish my order would just get here already!

You guys are all making me nervous even though I checked on my order awhile back! Wish my order would just get here already!
Based on Ed's report I think you should be ok but maybe a call to them wouldn't hurt maybe Ed can get you the magic number there

I did call them, thats what I meant by "checked my order". They had my name and order at that time. Patience isnt one of my virtues!

I ordered in AUgust right after CE did, i have confirmation that mine will be here in the next 2 week. I ordered like 20 some varieties.

My 25 requested apple varieties arrived today from USDA! This is the 4th year in a row I've ordered vintage varieties fron them.

Got mine today, first order from grin, excited to graft some new scions.
I plan to graft to existing rootstocks that were planted last year. In zone 6 in NEPA. What's the earliest I can graft these? It seems like the longer they sit in my fridge the more likely they are to dry out or rot! I know they're not supposed to freeze, but they'd be frozen if they were still on the tree from which they were just harvested. Does anyone cleft graft in February or early March???
Since I got two scions of each, maybe I'll do an early vs late grafting experiment.

Sitting in the fridge is not an issue. I will do my grafts in late Feb or early March and I got my scions in early Jan from GRIN. Freezing on a live tree is different than on a cut scion for sure. The live tree is still feeding the branches even in cold conditions

I just got my UPS delivery notification email from GRIN! "Christmas" on Wednesday!

Me too TC!

I ordered in August. Got my notification today that it is scheduled for delivery Tuesday.

See guys all good things come to those who wait