Greenscape 750 No Till Drill as an alternative ?

Brokenbear

5 year old buck +
Anyone who has operated/owns one of the above please pile in on this !!
I cannot even justify the $300 John Deere Van Brunt drill I have let alone a SAYA 505 or 507 and for sure not a Gensis ..however having no other "serious" vices and as I am in need of a no till drill I have been studying this long and hard ..
I am forced to have dirt pans and excavator come in this spring to my bottoms and recover them the river damage ..
Then no more tilling of plots and full going to the Buffalo System ..and the reason why is real simple
The CRP ground in the same area is UNTOUCHED and yes they faced the same water onslaught but have 24/7 vegetation coverage..

I am afraid the SAYA 505/7 may be too light for CRP ground as it come out of CRP and into plot production

But I have heard small snippets of encouraging info about the GS750

From an internet search only.. it appears the 507 is $ 6'ish but no coulters & another $1.5K for coulters ?? .. the 750 is $12' ish w/coulters and final cutipactor and the Genisis is north of $18.5 ' ish with coulters

So is the GS750 an expensive SAYA 507 or really a step up??

Anyone who has operated/owns one of the above please pile in on this !!
I cannot even justify the $300 John Deere Van Brunt drill I have let alone a SAYA 505 or 507 and for sure not a Gensis ..however having no other "serious" vices and as I am in need of a no till drill I have been studying this long and hard ..
I am forced to have dirt pans and excavator come in this spring to my bottoms and recover them the river damage ..
Then no more tilling of plots and full going to the Buffalo System ..and the reason why is real simple
The CRP ground in the same area is UNTOUCHED and yes they faced the same water onslaught but have 24/7 vegetation coverage..

I am afraid the SAYA 505/7 may be too light for CRP ground as it come out of CRP and into plot production

But I have heard small snippets of encouraging info about the GS750

From an internet search only.. it appears the 507 is $ 6'ish but no coulters & another $1.5K for coulters ?? .. the 750 is $12' ish w/coulters and final cutipactor and the Genisis is north of $18.5 ' ish with coulters

So is the GS750 an expensive SAYA 507 or really a step up??

What tractor do you have? Those GS750s look like they would put the center of gravity for the drill way behind the 3pt pins.

I've no knowledge on the GS-750 but made in america and cultpacker>roller basket should be worth something but it still seems like a $12.5k compromise. Hate to spend that kind of $ on something you might not be satisfied with. I had a line on a lightly used Genesis 5 light for about day last spring @ $12.5K. I'd look at that used market probably before dropping $12.5 on an unknown.

As far as converting CRP to plots, I got a feeling you're going to want some tillage to help in that conversion process the first year anyway. Trying to plant through a thick sod mat even with a heavy drill isn't ideal from my limited experience.

Tractor is a John Deere 5045E with a front loader ..the lift arms are rated at 3200 lbs

We are both thinking along the same lines but I have lo0ked for a year or more for used and 3 pt used are hen's teeth and with the prices of new climbing the used climbs right with them

One thing is.. I'm not marrying for life and if this old gal does not perform she will be gone and since I have price locked in a tad over 10K and I think I can get my $$ out of it if need be

If you are not following the new no till marketing and pricing ..Genesis 5 light with coulters are now $18000 to $19500 ..and the GS 750 can be bought for almost $8000 less

Plus like my original post dirt pans and excavator are going to straighten up the river erosion and I will need to be ready to cover a lot of bare loose dirt quickly ..I do have a soil conservation district no till machine reserved but it is a crap shoot as to if my guess at when I need to drill is close to when the dirt work is done

Bear

Tractor is a John Deere 5045E with a front loader ..the lift arms are rated at 3200 lbs

We are both thinking along the same lines but I have lo0ked for a year or more for used and 3 pt used are hen's teeth and with the prices of new climbing the used climbs right with them

One thing is.. I'm not marrying for life and if this old gal does not perform she will be gone and since I have price locked in a tad over 10K and I think I can get my $$ out of it if need be

If you are not following the new no till marketing and pricing ..Genesis 5 light with coulters are now $18000 to $19500 ..and the GS 750 can be bought for almost $8000 less

Plus like my original post dirt pans and excavator are going to straighten up the river erosion and I will need to be ready to cover a lot of bare loose dirt quickly ..I do have a soil conservation district no till machine reserved but it is a crap shoot as to if my guess at when I need to drill is close to when the dirt work is done

Bear

You in MO aren't you Bear? I've got a GP606 3pte in Lewis/Knox Co. area, if I could help somehow.

You in MO aren't you Bear? I've got a GP606 3pte in Lewis/Knox Co. area, if I could help somehow.
Now that is an awesome offer I will keep it in mind if I get screwed up between when the dirt work gets done versus when I guessed at the date to rent the soil district's machine

You are a gentleman Sir!

Bear

Bear

Yeah, i've been paying attention to prices a bit they are bonkers. I bought my drill last spring. Seems most guys with the genesis prefer it without coulters so I would look for them without. The main thing I didnt like about genesis was the premium they charge for a small seed box is nuts. There is a genesis facebook group that has drills pop up for sale occasionally. I try to avoid facebook though so not sure what the market has done there in the past 5 or so months.

Yeah, i've been paying attention to prices a bit they are bonkers. I bought my drill last spring. Seems most guys with the genesis prefer it without coulters so I would look for them without. The main thing I didnt like about genesis was the premium they charge for a small seed box is nuts. There is a genesis facebook group that has drills pop up for sale occasionally. I try to avoid facebook though so not sure what the market has done there in the past 5 or so mont

The Greenscape 750 is Kryptonite to me simply because if I were to make a list of what and how I would want a no till drill to function it does it
...things like the small grain box tubes instead of dropping in the double openers trench area it hits a scatter pan to disperse small seed ..

what did you buy and do you like it?

...things like the small grain box tubes instead of dropping in the double openers trench area it hits a scatter pan to disperse small seed ..

what did you buy and do you like it?

I got a little esch pull type 5603 with the small seed box. I like it so far. Even though it's over 2,100 lbs, it needs extra weight when there isn't much for seed weight to get the bigger seeds in the dirt and covered. That's with the press wheels so I wouldn't be confident with a cultipacker closing the furrows on my ground but that might not be critical depending on your expectations.

D025493C-4F13-41A7-AD1C-7F362F905ED0.jpeg

Last edited:
Win Gypsy ..that is a nice looking set up ..does it use coulters to no till or double disc openers are sufficient ?

I also agree that I would prefer press wheels over the cultipacker ..what a quandary ...

Win Gypsy ..that is a nice looking set up ..does it use coulters to no till or double disc openers are sufficient ?

I also agree that I would prefer press wheels over the cultipacker ..what a quandary ...

It has wavy coulters and double disc openers. The row unit (coulter, opener, closing wheel) setup is setup very similar to the ones on great plains drills. The one thing I'd really like from the great plains is to have the little flaps between the openers that presses the seed to the bottom of the furrow. I might have to redneck engineer my own some day. I wouldn't be surprised if it worked better (without added weight) without the coulters as I assume there is significant weight and down pressure allocated to them that would instead go to the openers.

Better pictures here.

Last edited:
I got a little esch pull type 5603 with the small seed box. I like it so far. Even though it's over 2,100 lbs, it needs extra weight when there isn't much for seed weight to get the bigger seeds in the dirt and covered. That's with the press wheels so I wouldn't be confident with a cultipacker closing the furrows on my ground but that might not be critical depending on your expectations.

View attachment 49297
That’s a cool setup Gypsy.

At one time I was thinking of just getting a tracked skid steer and implements for it. I think this company makes a drill for skid steer.

This topic has had me fascinated for about two years. I looked long and hard at the Genesis 5 light.....and would have owned one if they could have delivered on it. Now? after owning a drill with a small and a large seed box.....I have re-thought that idea. (as said adding a small seedbed to a Genesis really runs up the price).

Seems to me if you do have enough weight of light soils (like me) then the slicing coulters are not as big of a deal as they were once thought to be. I have purchased a Great Plains 3P 500 and have high hopes it will work well in my soils. Will be picking it up this week. (found a used one to save a few $). For me I believe this drill can fulfill my needs. Heavy soils may be another matter.

I just today was reading on "No Till Farmer" website on the topic of no till coulters.....and how much less they are used these days.......read-on......

Hailed by many as one of the critical equipment developments that made no-till possible, the use of coulters on planters has declined in popularity a great deal in the past few decades.

In 1991, a No-Till Farmer survey showed that a vast majority of no-tillers — 94% —utilized coulters on their planters to slice through surface residue ahead of seed openers and, in some cases, work a little bit of soil as well. In fact, data from out most recent 2021 No-Till Operational Benchmark Survey indicates only about 43% of no-tillers use them today.

This topic has had me fascinated for about two years. I looked long and hard at the Genesis 5 light.....and would have owned one if they could have delivered on it. Now? after owning a drill with a small and a large seed box.....I have re-thought that idea. (as said adding a small seedbed to a Genesis really runs up the price).

Seems to me if you do have enough weight of light soils (like me) then the slicing coulters are not as big of a deal as they were once thought to be. I have purchased a Great Plains 3P 500 and have high hopes it will work well in my soils. Will be picking it up this week. (found a used one to save a few $). For me I believe this drill can fulfill my needs. Heavy soils may be another matter.

I just today was reading on "No Till Farmer" website on the topic of no till coulters.....and how much less they are used these days.......read-on......

Hailed by many as one of the critical equipment developments that made no-till possible, the use of coulters on planters has declined in popularity a great deal in the past few decades.

In 1991, a No-Till Farmer survey showed that a vast majority of no-tillers — 94% —utilized coulters on their planters to slice through surface residue ahead of seed openers and, in some cases, work a little bit of soil as well. In fact, data from out most recent 2021 No-Till Operational Benchmark Survey indicates only about 43% of no-tillers use them today.
You make good points and I bet you can use openers only in lighter soil as I know many do ..for me in heavy soil ..and heavy build up of thatched Cereal Rye I cannot imagine not needing coulters ..especially when odd field shapes assures you will not always be running with the direction of lay of the thatch

Bear

Also think some of the new food plot "seeders" make allot of sense for many food plotters. The vast majority of my seeds belong in the small seed box. Most brassica and clover seeds are better planted out of the small seed box. But I rely on Winter rye and some larger seeds to help build my bio-mass (and to suppress weeds too). Also I like to plant some beans and have choices of seeding depths. If it were always clover and brassica I beleive I would just buy a 3 point seeder from Woods or Land Pride and be done with it.

I was looking at that Greenscape 750 just now.....and that machine checks allot of boxes for many. But it also only comes in that 7 foot wide version and is said to require 50 hp. Kinda like going to a Great Plains NT model.....just a bit our of my tractor ability. In many ways that Greenscape looks appealing. I do like the cultipacker on the back. I see some available as low as $9999. Seems a good price if the drill performs as advertised. More choices every year....in these small drills. Neat!

Was just using Google to research that Greenscape product line. Not 100% sure where they are made.....but somewhat impressed with what they offer. Also....was a bit surprised to see that they have been building seeders for John Deere / Frontier. <--I think that may speak well of their products.

There are some great plains and several other 8ft pull behind no till on auctiontime.com. I have a kasco min till and it does alright and then I pull a 12 ft with double coulters and use it as a no till

govdeals.com has a tye 10ft