Gray Dogwood Clippings

EarthySpirit

5 year old buck +
Hi All,

I wanted to get some feedback from you all. I have a field that I would like to create some more structure in for cover. It is by the creek and stays moist a good bit of the time, except perhaps August/Sept. I want to take some Gray Dogwood clippings and stick them in the ground throughout in this area. In your opinion, is it ok to do it this time of year or even in March? I'm in Central Kentucky. Thanks for any advice.

Patrick

This guy did it on March 23 in Wisconsin.

Red osier dogwood cuttings might be a better option in wet areas than gray dogwood. I've had success with red osier dogwood, but I have not tried gray dogwod.

Red osier dogwood cuttings might be a better option in wet areas than gray dogwood. I've had success with red osier dogwood, but I have not tried gray dogwod.
I have also used ROD with great success in wet areas.. In NY/PA they were stuck in the ground in early April. I haven’t tried the gray Dogwood either.

I stuck Elderberry cuttings in once in late November and they lived.

Now should be a good time. You want to collect the cuttings while they are dormant. It's best to cut them and put them in the ground asap, rather than store them and plant later. Although that will work. The only negative I see would be if you had a warm spell, they woke up,and then you get a frost. I don't think that would happen in your area.

I stuck Elderberry cuttings in once in late November and they lived.
I wish I could find some elderberry but I will most likely just buy some. I have found tons of ROD

Chuck