Grain Drill Storage Ideas

Brokenbear

5 year old buck +
As I started this spring's drilling season with my Great Plains 3P606NT (first over winter for me and this machine) I had a mouse nest in one drop in the Large box that took a bit to clear out ...
The seed tubes, drop hoses and drop fingers had been cleaned out and the inside of the hopper vacuumed clear of seed and the seed gates were left a #2 setting ..all hoses were left attached ...

This drill replaced an old John Deere Van Brunt 12 footer that had a hundred ways for mice to get in but very successfully I used ..setting in the bottom of the hopper a large cottage cheese cup full of ammonia in the middle of one side and another cup of vinegar in the middle of the other side and then took loosely balled up aluminum foil about the size of or a tad smaller than a tennis ball and stuffed the seed chutes above the seed meters ..this worked very well ...

But this GP hopper is painted sheet metal and the old JD Van Brunt is galvanized sheet metal ..so I am unsure if the fumes from the ammonia and vinegar would soften the paint or not ..
So as I ponder mouse proofing this GP I wonder how others are doing this process??
What do you do?
1. All seed hoses remain attached or (A.) detach at the bottom of the seed cup or (B.) detach hoses only at the drop tube (C.) Detach and store all seed hoses
2. Seed gates (A.) fully open( B.) fully closed
3. Feed rate handle (A.) fully open (B.) fully closed
4. Sealing with a foil ball will not work for my busted up hands so I will likely build some individual seed "row blockers" ...maybe a wood block with a way to wedge it against the agitator bar???

Please be kind here folks as I have a piecemeal owners manual but no storage suggestions section ...I am thinking 1. B ....2. B ....3. B ... 4.....I will check into the factory row blockers but I am sure $$ will dictate I build some ..

Ideas please if you will ..

Bear

Try putting a box of moth balls in the seed bins. Should repel the mice.

Last edited:
I dont have a mouse problem in my shed.....but I have read enough about mice liking to eat those plastic seed cups to take precaution. I use dryer sheets in each seed cup. First I fully open the cups to "drain mode" and vacuum well from both ends. I place a dryer sheet in each cup. I leave hoses attached (too much hassle to remove 'em) but if I had an outside storage issue I may detach them too.

The dryer sheets are easy to place / remove. Moth balls or moth crystals seem like a good choice too.

We put moth balls in panty hose so that way you can hang them.I also have had good luck with Irish spring soap and these herbal packets called cab something.They are made to keep mice out of farm trucks