grafting tool

There is one on Amazon Prime priced @$17.99 that looks like it could be the same tool. Let us know how you make out with it if you get one.

I bought one of these when I first started. I quickly found that the W & T grafts held together much tighter. The other frustrating part was that pieces of wood were constantly getting stuck in the tool and you’d have to dig them out with a knife or screwdriver. The concept is good, and it’s a great example for the grafting class I help teach for beginners. But I’m the end, all I need is a sharp knife for grafting!

I bought one two years ago, it worked just fine. Like Bucksnort said, there are some cons to the tool, but I was new to grafting and really found it useful. I did do many successful grafts with it.

I took a grafting class last year at the county coop. We used one of these tools to graft apple and pear trees. I chose to graft pears onto the provided quince roots. I don't know much about the roots, but I think quince is semi-dwarf and fireblight prone. At any rate, I think I grafted 6 trees. Only one took. The grafting wax was frozen, so that likely played a big part. Also, it was the first grafts I did. If you're new to grafting, I'm sure the tools works just fine. If you're a seasoned vet with it, using a grafting knife is likely more successful.

I have a friend that could really benefit from a tool like this, he is NOT very good with a knife, he only had about a 50% success rate with the stuff I had him graft when I was showing him the ropes. I have seen quite a few different types that range anywhere from $20 - $450. I have never owned this tool, I do well with a knife, so if anyone has any experience with these please advise to the good or bad ones.

Here is the $450 model https://www.amleo.com/grafting-tool...MI9Mait56n6AIVBRgMCh3QaA-1EAQYBSABEgIBb_D_BwE

I have a friend that could really benefit from a tool like this, he is NOT very good with a knife, he only had about a 50% success rate with the stuff I had him graft when I was showing him the ropes. I have seen quite a few different types that range anywhere from $20 - $450. I have never owned this tool, I do well with a knife, so if anyone has any experience with these please advise to the good or bad ones.

Here is the $450 model https://www.amleo.com/grafting-tool...MI9Mait56n6AIVBRgMCh3QaA-1EAQYBSABEgIBb_D_BwE

All of the ones I've seen under $50 are cheap Chinese knock-offs. That does not mean they are useless, just that they don't have the same tolerances that the originals have. The link you posted of AM leonard at $450 is clearly an original design high tolerance tool. I got one of the Chinese knock-off versions of this design. For what I paid, I'm pretty happy. The blades make nice cuts, but the cast V shelf can mar softer wood. I put some insulating electrical type on mine as a cushion. It helpeyou d a little. One of the pins broke this year and I had to replace it with a screw. I've had pretty good success with it. About the same as with my W&T, but it is much faster.

The key is having scions/rootstock in the right size range. This may be true for the high precision models as well. I don't know, I haven't used one of them.

If have well matched scions and rootstock in the right size range for the tool, it can be very fast and effective. Here is a link to another forum thread where I first found out about this one: https://growingfruit.org/t/zenport-grafting-tool/19713

Thanks,

Jack

All of the ones I've seen under $50 are cheap Chinese knock-offs. That does not mean they are useless, just that they don't have the same tolerances that the originals have. The link you posted of AM leonard at $450 is clearly an original design high tolerance tool. I got one of the Chinese knock-off versions of this design. For what I paid, I'm pretty happy. The blades make nice cuts, but the cast V shelf can mar softer wood. I put some insulating electrical type on mine as a cushion. It helpeyou d a little. One of the pins broke this year and I had to replace it with a screw. I've had pretty good success with it. About the same as with my W&T, but it is much faster.

The key is having scions/rootstock in the right size range. This may be true for the high precision models as well. I don't know, I haven't used one of them.

If have well matched scions and rootstock in the right size range for the tool, it can be very fast and effective. Here is a link to another forum thread where I first found out about this one: https://growingfruit.org/t/zenport-grafting-tool/19713

Thanks,

Jack

Hmm reading the comments under the product it doesn't sound like a tool for him, he is a big fella and always rough on equipment. I will make him work on his technique with non-value scions before we get to work this year.
As always thank you for the input Jack!

I bought one and found it fairly useless if your rootstock and scion isn't the same size. Also bought a grafting specific knife, that also sits unused. Retractable utility knife with the fat max brand blades is my favorite. That brand is thicker and they don't break when using to pry. Also bought some dissolvable grafting tape (Ebay) that stuff is awesome since you don't need to remember to cut it loose in fall like electrical tape

I bought one and found it fairly useless if your rootstock and scion isn't the same size. Also bought a grafting specific knife, that also sits unused. Retractable utility knife with the fat max brand blades is my favorite. That brand is thicker and they don't break when using to pry. Also bought some dissolvable grafting tape (Ebay) that stuff is awesome since you don't need to remember to cut it loose in fall like electrical tape

I don't know of any grafting tool made for scion and rootstock with different diameters. They attempt to replace the W&T where you match diameters or simply align one side and hope. I like a good grafting knife for W&T and most apple grafting. I tried a Z graft on a few with miss-matched diameter. Time will tell how well it works. For bark grafting persimmons, I too use a utility knife with throw-away blades. I don't find it as effective on cambium alignment grafts like W&T as a single sided grafting knife.

Of course, in the hands of the right guy, I'm sure a butter knife would suffice! :emoji_grin:

Thanks,

Jack