Graft question/help?

BOC

5 year old buck +
All,

I understand the importance of planting apple trees with the graft 2-3 inches above the soil line. My trees are getting older and the graft and trunk all look like one solid piece of wood now. You can still feel where the graft is but it is getting harder and harder to tell given the girth of the trunk. Overtime, the mulch and weed mats have broke down and weeds are growing near the trunk. At what point does graft height become a non-issue with an apple tree? I tried to clear everything away from the base of the trunk but noticed the graft has grown to reach the soil line. I'm hoping that after a certain age it is OK and normal for this to happen?

Any insight or suggestion guys?
BOC

Ok, well let me rephrase the question. If the scion ends up rooting, what variety of tree do you get? The rootstock or the scion variety? I know the tree will grow to a normal size and you lose your dwarfing characteristics, just wondering what kind of apples you end up with?

Just so that Im clear, if I buy a Liberty on an M7 rootstock and plant the graft below the soil line I will end up with a full sized Liberty apple tree?
PS not that I would ever do this, just trying to educate myself.

Yessssss. Google it and you will see the effects of planting depths of rootstocks

most of my grafts end up being 6 or more inches above the soil line, not sure why I start that high, I guess I figure if my cut fails I can try lower, but very rarley does my cut not work

all you need to do is dig the hole a bit deeper when you plant them and bury them more than 6 inches below soil level !!!!! not sure if that is what you meant LOL