Graft and transplant timing

Barndog56

5 year old buck +
I've got 18 seedling apples in my nursery area that are 3-4 foot tall and suitable trunk size for grafting. Which of the following options would work best?

A. Graft and transplant this spring.
B. Graft this spring and transplant this fall.
C. Transplant this spring and graft next spring.
D. Transplant this fall and graft next spring.

I think any of those plans would work, but I would personally prefer Plan C. I like the idea of the roots having a full year to get established in the final destination before topworking. Good luck with whichever you do.

I’d do B.

I would go for B as well, just a personal choice as I think it would give the best growth and success for the scion.

Plan B is what I do every year and it has worked well for me.

I think any of those plans would work, but I would personally prefer Plan C. I like the idea of the roots having a full year to get established in the final destination before topworking. Good luck with whichever you do.

Agreed.

I have done B successfully in the past, and I am attempting C this year. Like native hunter mentions, I like the idea of the tree being well established prior to grafting.

However, my grafting skills are suspect at best. So already I can see performing the grafting process on a rootstock/scion 24” off the ground, is going to be more challenging than being able to hold the rootstock/scion in my hands, then plop it in a bucket. Both techniques have advantages, so I am trying both. But going forward, I am leaning toward plan B so I don’t have to lean at all! We'll see, I might be surprised.

Out of 50 field grafts a month ago, in either the orchard or nursery, there's about a half dozen that appear to be failures. Would you experts try and graft them again now a little lower, or let them grow for now and regraft next spring?

Out of 50 field grafts a month ago, in either the orchard or nursery, there's about a half dozen that appear to be failures. Would you experts try and graft them again now a little lower, or let them grow for now and regraft next spring?
You could also t-bud them in summer.

I either t bud or regraft the following spring

Do you have many transplants that dont make the winter? If so, I wouldn't fall graft. If you do, make sure they stay well watered in the fall.

I checked mine today and went 9 for 14. I will let them grow this year and try again next year.