Good bare root source? Apples from Seed?

bigboreblr

5 year old buck +
Looking to buy 25-50 bare root fruit trees. I've been doing this is for about 3 years with plums and torringo crab apple. The state enviromental conservation seedling sale didn't have any fruit trees. I have 2 places I am planting them. One is my home with heavy clay hardiness zone 5B, Replacing dead apple trees. Have the plums and crab apple in there already. The other is hardiness Zone 3A, partial shade alongside a wide trail or swamp edge. sandy but tons of organic material in the soil. pH In both places is medium to low 6's. The big challenge at the other location is I can not cage the trees. Snowshoe Hares are a problem there. My home in 5B is riddled with cottontails and they nibble everything. The crab apple have survived well so far. The 3A location I planted this fall, so i'll see how the plums up there do.

Any places you like to order? Think of anything other than plums or crab apple.

I collected wild apples last fall and tried to grow them from seed, only 1 survived. Still got a ton of those seeds. I cut them to the core and let them rot a bit, then popped the seeds out. They have been in my freezer most of the winter. I collected these apples over the month of september.

Looking to buy 25-50 bare root fruit trees. I've been doing this is for about 3 years with plums and torringo crab apple. The state enviromental conservation seedling sale didn't have any fruit trees. I have 2 places I am planting them. One is my home with heavy clay hardiness zone 5B, Replacing dead apple trees. Have the plums and crab apple in there already. The other is hardiness Zone 3A, partial shade alongside a wide trail or swamp edge. sandy but tons of organic material in the soil. pH In both places is medium to low 6's. The big challenge at the other location is I can not cage the trees. Snowshoe Hares are a problem there. My home in 5B is riddled with cottontails and they nibble everything. The crab apple have survived well so far. The 3A location I planted this fall, so i'll see how the plums up there do.

Any places you like to order? Think of anything other than plums or crab apple.

I collected wild apples last fall and tried to grow them from seed, only 1 survived. Still got a ton of those seeds. I cut them to the core and let them rot a bit, then popped the seeds out. They have been in my freezer most of the winter. I collected these apples over the month of september.
Seeds are in the freezer or refrigerator if you truly mean freezer the germination rate maybe very very low.

I get all my fruit trees from Wallace Woodstock and paint creek nursery both out of northern wi. I have no complaints at all with either one.

Seeds are in the freezer or refrigerator if you truly mean freezer the germination rate maybe very very low.
Whats the right way of doing it?

I keep them in the refrigerator maybe they will survive the freezer never tried it seem pretty harsh. I guess if your trying to get really really cold hardy trees that’s maybe one way to start the seeds pretty much right out of the gate there either tuff as nails or dead.

I plant apple seeds in the fall. Either straight in the garden and covered with 1/4 inch of sand or else in pots which are buried in the garden. You need to protect them from mice eating the seeds.

Put 1/4 inch mesh or window screen over the pots or use 1/4 inch mesh in tubes.

Some use a couple of 2x2’s to build a box over the short row of seeds. Then cover with 1/4 inch mesh.

Minnesota winters take care of the cold stratification.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can see growing some apples from seeds just for fun, but my experience is that it can be a big waste of time if you have limited spaces. In my humble opinion, it takes way too long to find out what you have, and when you do, it’s usually not as good as what can be purchased. I think one exception might be Dolgo crabs. If you want to do if for fun, that’s great, but temper your expectations.

I'd suggest selecting trees that you know something about… zone, bloom times, yields, drop time, disease resistance, etc. In my opinion you can’t go wrong with nurseries like Cummins, Turkey Creek, and Blue Hill to mention a few. Right now, the biggest challenge will be finding good trees on the right rootstock. Most nursery stock is pretty picked over by this time of year, with the best selections being the late fall to early winter. For now, check your favorite nursery(s) stock regularly because some folks cancel orders and good stuff does come up. Otherwise, mark your calendar to order stock in November to January for deliver the following spring. Have fun growing from seeds if you choose to. Otherwise, plan well to get quality bare-root or potted stock.