Going against wisdom?

trampledbyturtles

5 year old buck +
Looking for some advice.

I find myself in a bit of a habitat/hunting improvement pickle.

Alot of lititure out there sugests trying to keep deer moving in circles on your ground. While not trying to create any dead end improvements where they then are forced to exit your property.

Well, we all have neighbors, an I'm limited on ground. So at some point there is bound to be a few clashes with this concept.

The issue I'm facing is a natural funnel from one property to the next. My best wood lot funnels down to a pinch point of thick low ground containing a mix of willow, cattails, young cottonwood. Ag fields pinch down on all sides. Leading into the neighbors ground (3acre wood lot, surrounded by crops, high hunting pressure, rotate alot of guys in an out, but the way it is laid out it acts as the natural transition in an out of both properties, they catch alot of deer coming back in the morning from the night feeding patterns)

Anyhow
A few years back I had a small area open up due to a few blowdowns.

Thinking about planting a few pears in this spot. (About 100 yards from property line)

Hope was to create one last stagging area before they leave the ground. Currently they move through the area fairly quickly.
-While also improving the overall draw power of one of my primary hunting spots.

Guess what I'm getting at is should I move this improvement deeper into my ground to a spot that is not as access or hunter friendly for myself or plant as planed with the possibility of bringing more attention the neighbors direction?

Do you have an areal photo or sketch? I'm trying to visualize your situation. Also some size information would be helpful.

I think a lot of habitat placement ends up being very specific to your situation.

Thanks,

Jack

It's up to you and what you are comfortable with. In general I have my plots and trees close to the property edge in an attempt to stage the deer there until dark (before they walk across the property line), and also to keep my intrusion out of the center of my property. I know I'm going to tend to my trees and play in my plots so I like those things towards the edges. I'm perfectly fine with them being nocturnal spots though.

Each situation is unique and no property is perfect. We use the wisdom of others and try to work within the other facts we have to deal with as best we can. All that said, it's going to depend. I have plots near neighbors and could regret that at some point, but I put plots where I can based on other aspects. I have one plot where you could throw a rock and hit the neighbors land. Is it "ideal"? Of course not...but it's what I have to work with. Since your planting trees that may need some care I would consider that more than anything. Is the area you put these in going to suffer from your intrusion from time to time? if you put these close to a neighbor do you have options or considerations to create some sort of screen from the neighbor?

Hope this helps Jack, never was much of an artist. Ha

20190111_110426.jpg

J-bird, area is fairly well screened, trouble is I am already shaving hairs sunlight wise figure I will get about 6 hrs max sunlight in the spot. Only screen could be to the NW. Was thinking hybrid willow but am struggling as it is to get them growing. (Found out deer eat them to the dirt if allowed) Area is wet, so that would eliminate MG

Also good point on the intrusion part.

Last edited:
Hope this helps Jack, never was much of an artist. Ha

View attachment 22239

J-bird, area is fairly well screened, trouble is I am already shaving hairs sunlight wise figure I will get about 6 hrs max sunlight in the spot. Only screen could be to the NW. Was thinking hybrid willow but am struggling as it is to get them growing. (Found out deer eat them to the dirt if allowed) Area is wet, so that would eliminate MG

Also good point on the intrusion part.

How much of the cover in the NW corner is on your land? I might be tempted to disconnect it to keep the deer from using the neighbor's timber block if it is possible. I would probably try to create the transition zones on the SW and NE corners of your land and change the deer flow. With the current setup, it looks like you get first crack at deer as the leave bedding and the neighbor gets first crack in the morning and the move through that timber block.

That is just my initial thought given what I can deduce from your picture. Details of the vegetation may limit what is practical. It also depends what kinds of crops are planted and how much cover they provide.

I doubt a couple of pear trees will do the job you are looking for. I've got 4 keiffer pear trees that are about 20' tall. They produce a boatload of pears. The issue for me is that they typically drop in September. It takes about 2 weeks for the wildlife to clean up those pears from the time the first one drops until they are all gone. It will depend on your deer and other wildlife densities as well as the alternate foods available, but I would expect the stopping power of a couple pear trees to be pretty short-lived.

Thanks,

Jack

Thz Jack

Most of the cover is on our side, an u r correct about the morning vs evening transition. The crop fields shift annually, 3 full quarters of either corn or bean surround that corner. That is partially what I'm trying to capitalize on. The odd food source that is available for a short window that has alot of drawing power in a sea of the same ol same old. But ur probably correct it that may not even change patterns enough to notice a thing in the grand sceme of things.

Archery opens Sept 1 here.

Given our weather patterns I would get 1 maybe 2 sits tops before the the last pear fell.

Ever consider fencing it so the deer enter the NE or SW field to get around the fence?

If fences are not to long it's my experience that deer would rather walk around them 85% of the time.

Ever consider fencing it so the deer enter the NE or SW field to get around the fence?

If fences are not to long it's my experience that deer would rather walk around them 85% of the time.

That is probably a less expensive approach that accomplishes the same thing I was trying to suggest.

I am a big fan of pear trees but even with a couple varieties your only looking at a month or two tops of drawing power until the drop is over like Jack mentioned.
Along with the pear trees for ground cover around them you could put in a good mix of clovers and chicory to help cover some of the months you don’t have fruit drop. And you could put in a thick row of MG as natural fencing to try and direct deer back into your property.