Game warden is on speed dial for this weekend.

gunther89

5 year old buck +
Well my cousin informed me that a local group of coyote hunters will be doing a big coyote hunt this weekend. We dealt with this group last year and told them to stay off our land yet we confirmed they were on our land twice(with trail cam pics and foot prints). They said the dogs were on a trail and went into our land after the yote and that's why they were on our land. My grandma owned the land at the time and didn't want to do anything about it, but now my cousin and I own the land. We agreed that if we see any dog or any local on our land, the warden is getting a call and tickets will be issued. We are done putting up with this crap and a message needs to be sent that we mean business.

Can you use your trail cam picture you already have to prosecute?

My grandma was the owner of the land last year and we tried to get her to press charges but she said no. She didn't want to upset anyone.

Is this a local sheriff or a CO to take care of? I know in Wisconsin the sheriff takes care of trespassing and the CO can't and won't do anything.

Is this a local sheriff or a CO to take care of? I know in Wisconsin the sheriff takes care of trespassing and the CO can't and won't do anything.
I was not aware of that. I will look into it and if the sheriff is in charge of this, I will have the non emergency number in my phone. Thank you.

Correct, Sheriff Depts handle all trespassing calls in WI. I didn't even think of it till BJE mentioned it, but the Game Wardens will just tell you to call the Sheriff.

You could even request extra patrols by the sheriff. If they have nothing going on them driving around would not hurt anything.

There has been talk of introducing legislation that would permit DNR personnel to deal with trespassing issues, but I am not sure where this is in the legislative process at this point.

There has been talk of introducing legislation that would permit DNR personnel to deal with trespassing issues, but I am not sure where this is in the legislative process at this point.

I would prefer the sheriff to handle anyway. You are very likely to get a quicker response from a sheriff than a CO in most cases IMO.

The piece of legislation I saw would allow both to deal with it and was being pushed because it would give that many more "bodies" the ability to respond to those calls depending on who was in proximity to the area where the violation was taking place at the time.

It's probably best the sheriff takes the call cause these yahoo's are notorious for standing on the road shooting at yotes too. Might as well get them for that violation as well.

Here is a word of caution if you want to prosecute. Don't speak to them or speak very little.

I caught coon hunters on my place once during deer season. I told them to get those ##*%'ing dogs off my property and called the sheriff.

The sheriff wouldn't even write the ticket. He said the prosecutor would throw it out because my telling Them to get their dogs gave them permission to be on the land. Total BS but that's what bad lawyers have done for us.

Good luck.

It's probably a bad idea, but catch a dog or two, take a gps collar or two and shut it off. Send the dog on his way and let them figure out how to hunt with out technology. It's a bad idea if they are the revengeful type, but I did it at my place and that bunch got the idea real fast.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I want to have everything in order for when it happens. I plan to be hunting this weekend and with 14 cameras out, I would think either the cameras or I will be able to see if we have dogs or anyone walking around on our land.

I just did a youth hunt/mentor hunt last weekend. I was talking to the wardens there.They said there is a bill that is in the works right now that would allow wardens to issue trespassing fines,only if it includes hunting,fishing,trapping. Sounds good to me.

Get in your ghille suit a get um

Catch one and prosecute to the full extent & you'll send a clear message. Word will get around & your problem will be solved. Good luck.

One other thought. Don't be in a hurry. Trespass isn't a major crime. I'm still waiting for the Deputy that responded to my call on Nov 17th.

Talked to him last week and he is waiting for the perp to drop of his statement (?????) before putting everything together to take to the prosecutor to decide what to do.