G890 rootstock

goatman

5 year old buck +
First off this is my second year of grafting crabapples on rootstock. Had good success last year on dolgo rootstock. Wasn't able to get dolgo rootstock this year. Got some G890 from Cummins. Was kinda shocked when I got them as some had 2 roots and others up to 5 roots on them. I have no experience with these. Anyone familiar with these and did I waste my time grafting?

Pretty small trees I would keep in a nursery for a year and when planted into their permanent location bury the graft to self root the scion you will loose all dwarfing characteristics and trees will be very slow to produce fruit but you will have very large long lived trees. I do this with almost all my grafted trees but I’m willing to wait 10 years for fruiting if my great grandchildren can still enjoy the fruits of my labor long after I’m gone. I do plant a few trees in each orchard with the graft above ground for faster fruiting.

I received some rootstock here last week that had roots similar to what you described. I went ahead and grafted them, because I had plenty of scions on hand. I put each grafted tree into a smallish pot. I plan to make a trench in late fall and stick the pots in it for overwintering. Next spring, I'll move them into three gallon pots and then eventually plant them in their final spots during fall of next year, right before the ground freezes.

Because that leaves me short for this calendar year, I ordered some standard rootstock from Blue Hill at https://bluehillwildlifenursery.com/product/wild-deer-apple-trees/ last week to use my larger scions on.

Interested to hear more about G890. I have 1 Droptine crab on G890 coming that WC's is having me try out.

60% size, freestanding, firelight and wooly aphid resistant. Was ging to try geneva 210, looked more cold resistant. I believe cummins sells alot on 890.

I got the order from Blue Hill all grafted and waxed. Their roots were big, though not as enormous as the roots on their Dolgo seedlings last year, but they were still plenty big.

I got M111 rootstocks from 39th parallel. Some were well rooted 2 or 3 didnt have much. Those roots looked real tender though, last years rootstock atonovka from saint lawrence looked like tanks. Think its the nature of young m111.

Geneva’s sometimes come with few roots. Doesn’t inspire confidence but usually have done ok for me.

The Genevas are just like that. I have a few. They’ll benefit from growing in a nursery bed for a year (or if you plant them out, make sure they get water early on), but they’ll grow fine.

Thanks. Good to hear.

If terry from whitetail crabs is playing with them, they'll be good for wildlife.