Future projects and ideas??

wisconsinteacher

5 year old buck +
One thing I have learned about owning land is that every time I sit in a tree stand, I think about what to do next!!!

This past year, I added a food plot (SE corner). So far, I have had does there almost every night to feed and a few bucks here and there. I'm trying to make a plan on what to do this summer and figured, I would run it by folks that have done this stuff before. So here are my plans.

#1 I want to make a trail from the west side of the food plot and run it parallel to the south fence line. I know the deer use this area but it is supper thick and hard to hunt. My goal is to create a path for them to follow. Yesterday I saw a buck cursing in this area.

#2 Where the blue line and red line meet on the west side, I want to put a water source in. I will then cut a trail parallel to the west boarder that runs north and south.

#3 In the NE corner is swamp. I want to cut some trails in the tall grass for deer to travel. Yesterday, I watched deer bed in the swamp and feel that if I control the trails, I can lead them past my stand out there.

On the map are 2 yellow plots, but those will not happen this year. I want to really make the current plot better by adding lime, fertilizer and somehow leveling the soil a bit. The dozer made some ruts and holes in the plot.

Other than this, is there something else you suggest that I do? It will be a lot of time with a saw cutting trails but I think adding them in the slashing will help control movement.

FYI-the area in green is slashing, purple is swamp and the NW corner is oak trees.

Thanks

Attachments

• landonx.jpg
    landonx.jpg
    406.8 KB · Views: 19
In my experience, bucks often avoid big open trails. They seem to like walking through cover. If you're going to make a trail for bucks, don't make it too open or obvious.

For the trails, I was thinking about making them about as wide as I would if making a trail to my treestand. Seems like every trail I cut to a stand has deer walking on it right away.

For the trails, I was thinking about making them about as wide as I would if making a trail to my treestand. Seems like every trail I cut to a stand has deer walking on it right away.

Hang a camera or two and see what kind of deer are using them. If it's just wide enough for you to walk, bucks might use it.