Fun yet rough weekend

Dan Wombles

5 year old buck +
Really feeling my 60 years of age! Planted 40 apple trees this weekend from last years grafts, caged them, added screen wire to deter rabbits and mice, and watered. I usually use a pto with a 24" auger for digging holes, but ground was too wet, and couldn't wait any longer to plant. I'm having trouble getting out of my chair today :)

Great job getting them in and done right. I ran the chainsaw for a couple hours last Thursday and I still hurt all over...I am 39. I hope at 60 I can put in a day like that. Actually I hope all my apple trees survive now and I can save my energy for picking apples and dragging the big buck that came to eat them. Job well done.

Pictures, DW, inquiring minds need pictures!

I'm a desk jocky so I get sore doing almost any manual labor. But when I planted my fruit trees last year I called that a 'happy sore'.

Good work Dan. I too would love to see some pictures of your orchards!

Pain is the body's way of saying you got a lot done. Once all the aches go away, it'll be time to go and start watching for buds to break open. It beats feeling good and not having anything to show for it.

I'll take pics next time up. Last fall, my trees produced enough apples to start a 6 gallon jug of cider for fermenting, and making 51 pints of apple butter, with a few left over for the deer.

Dan-I am 60, also and have about 20 or a few more to graft and then plant. I live where most will be planted so I can break the time up a bit, but all of my digging is by hand.

Dan - What kind of apples do you have growing at your place ??

Pictures, DW, inquiring minds need pictures!

I'm a desk jocky so I get sore doing almost any manual labor. But when I planted my fruit trees last year I called that a 'happy sore'.

I 2nd this guy, I'm stuck behind a desk for work, i need outside fruit tree pictures any time I can get them!

Dan - What kind of apples do you have growing at your place ??
All vintage varieties. These are producing: Harrison, golden russet, roxbury russet, Yates, Arkansas black, black twig, Baldwin, ashmeads kernel, graniwinkle, grimes golden, Michelin, northern spy, winesap, pitmaston pinnapple, rome beauty, albemarle pippin, cox's orange pippin, spice of old Virginia, smiths cider, golden pearmain

Probably 40 other varieties that are not producing

All vintage varieties. These are producing: Harrison, golden russet, roxbury russet, Yates, Arkansas black, black twig, Baldwin, ashmeads kernel, graniwinkle, grimes golden, Michelin, northern spy, winesap, pitmaston pinnapple, rome beauty, albemarle pippin, cox's orange pippin, spice of old Virginia, smiths cider, golden pearmain

Probably 40 other varieties that are not producing

That's a fun list. Any comments on those that you particularly like as it relates to growth habits, disease resistance, taste, drop-time, etc?

That's a fun list. Any comments on those that you particularly like as it relates to growth habits, disease resistance, taste, drop-time, etc?
All have a great, yet different taste, except Michelin which is only good for hard cider. Yates is a great tasting little apple that produces heavy in bunches, and is a late dropper, many hang on tree for some time; I hate leaving very many for the deer! Roxbury Russet is the oldest documented American variety, dating back to the early 1600's not long after the founding of James Town. Harrison was considered the best cider apple during our colonial period, and once thought extinct for decades until someone found an old tree in the 1980's and revitalized the variety. Grimes Golden is considered one of the parents of golden delicious, yet more flavorful; ripens early/mid September; is a great pollinator. Smiths Cider bears early and heavily. Arkansas Black ripens mid/late October, tart and very hard when ripe on tree but will sweeten and soften after a month or two in storage. Albemarle Pippin is a fantastic tasting apple with a rich, complex flavor and was prized and grown by George Washington and Thomas Jefferson. Ashmeads Kernel originated in England around 1700, has a rich, strong flavor with a balance of sugar and acids, but tends to be biennial. Golden Russet is a tasty apple that tends to be biennial, hangs on the tree until after leaf fall, and exhibits resistance to scab and other diseases. Cox's orange pippin is one of England's favored desert apples, reliable producer, ripens September.

So far, the only issue I have had on a few varieties is cedar apple rust, which does not seem to significantly hurt the apples. All of these varieties are considered good/great keepers.

I am a fan of propagating the vintage varieties and helping to keep them going. And the deer don't care, they'll eat any apple.