fruit trees

wildfire

5 year old buck +
I can purchase 3.5 gallon semi dwarf haralson and macintosh apples now, would you plant them? and when. Also superior and toka plum in the 3.5 gallon container

Haralson would be a decent idea. I would not buy the plums for deer.

I have tried this the last two years with great success. Buy the trees in a couple months on clearance and burry them in their pots. Then plant them in their final location in the spring. It is recommended that apples be planted in the spring.
Here is a tree I had buried in its pot and moved this spring. I have done 15 trees this way and all are thriving. I have saved 75-90% on the trees.

image.jpg

Nice tree and good money saving....but follow me along here. If you have a potted tree and "plant" the pot...and it survives until spring. Why not just plant the tree in its destination instead? Assuming the final "home" is ready for planting, why not save the steps of planting the pot, then digging it up...then planting the tree?
My thought would be that removal from the pot and breaking the root circling may be harmful going into winter. Of coarse it could make no difference what's so ever.

My other reason would be I get those deals in October and I don't want to be planting trees during the season. Since my first reason doesn't work I will go with this one:)

I wasn't busting your balls...just trying to save you some time :)
You must plant them at home until spring then?
Yes I plant them at my home where I can keep an eye on them. I guess as I actually think about it, it is all about the convince of just throwing them in a hole and dealing with them in the spring. These trees were all a few days from going into the dumpster and I negotiated with the big box stores how low they would go. I didn't think you were busting on me.

I can purchase 3.5 gallon semi dwarf haralson and macintosh apples now, would you plant them? and when. Also superior and toka plum in the 3.5 gallon container
Do you have a way of keeping them watered? If so, you can plant them now.

Chummer,

I wish I had your luck. I've never had good luck finding any end of season deals. They are either an undesirable variety, in very poor abused condition or sold out.
Condition has never been an issue but variety may be. Other than one ayers pear that is far exceeding expectations all the others have been flowering crabs. I don't know if they will produce edible fruit but I have paired each one with an existing native tree in hopes of helping pollination. If not at least they look pretty for a couple weeks in the spring.

Already have dolgos and chestnuts. We have had 20" of rain since May 8. My farm does not have sand, it is loam with clay down about 2'. Some wet springs no plots get planted till June.

Last edited: