Frost Seeding Chicory

Joe Buck

5 year old buck +
We are in central Wisconsin Sands area. We currently have a total of approx 2 acres of foodplots that are all Med- Red Clover, some Ladino White clover and Winter Rye that we overseeded last fall with Throw and Mow. The overseeded Rye did not due well. Overseeded twice for a total of 400 lbs. on the 2 acres. We have alot of turkeys and sandhill cranes and they eat most of it before it gets growing. This is the 3rd year we have tried to Throw & Mow Winter Rye with about the same results. We use a cultipacker after seeding as well but to much seed is still exposed. Would like to try Chicory to use up some of the nitrogen the clover produces. Hopping the smaller seeds and frost seeding will do better than the Rye with the turkeys and cranes. Also with our almost all sand hopefully it will survive the drought better. We have had pretty fair success with frost seeding our clover in the past and plan on doing that again this year. Plan on doing both together. So these are my questions.
1.) Does frost seeding Chicory work in our Wis. sandy soil?
2.) How many lbs. per acre with existing clover?
3.) Thinking about trying " Oasis " Chicory or is there a better variety?
4.) Any other ideas especially with the winter rye? We would still like to overseed with that again next fall.
Thanking you in advance for your replies.

Frostseeding in sandy soil doesn't work well

I've had decent luck frost seeding chicory but I have real heavy clay so I can't say what it does on sandy soil, Oasis is what I use.

Oasis is my go to.