Friendly warning about big box store trees

j-bird

As spring is on it's way for many of us....I wanted to just remind those of us that are tempted by the trees we see for sale at the big box stores.

#1 - many stores will sell trees that are NOT adaptable to your area. I saw this already...I was tempted to purchase a variety of oak I don't have on my place. I stepped back and did a search on the web...there is a reason I don't have them on my place! Asking a tree to grow outside of it's natural range is a big task and it can be done, but often time results in a stunted tree at best.

#2 - many of these trees (fruit trees) will NOT tell you what the root stock is. As such you are missing a big piece of information about that tree. Sure they may tell you it's a dwarf or semi-dwarf...but that tends to be about it. Root stock controls how big the tree will get and how quickly it will be capable of bearing fruit. You might be able to search the Nursery that grew the trees web site to find what root stock they use, but again...do your homework. None of use want a dwarf or semi-dwarf tree that isn't suitable to our soil or takes forever to bear fruit.

#3 - pay attention to varieties. Not all "apple" trees are the same.... Many of the varieties sold at these locations are sold for fruit for people to eat and as a result tend to be varieties that are NOT very disease resistant. Again...the internet can be your friend.

#4 - also in case your looking at other plants "Deer resistant" doesn't mean a thing.....deer can't read! Sure the deer may not prefer that plant....but hunger makes critters eat anything they can reach!

Don't guess/hope....KNOW what your buying! I post this because of my own mistakes, ignorance and stubbornness.... do it right the first time or be prepared to do it again!

About 4 years ago I bought 4 Bartlett pears from a BB store. They were 4'-5' tall in 2 gallon pots. Thought they were very healthy.

3 of them didn't make it past 2.5 months and the last one has never really done any thing.

When I pulled the trees the root ball was no bigger than a softball. Apparently they were grown elsewhere and the roots over trimmed for more compact shipping.

Maybe a higher chance of getting a mis-labeled tree too.

I made this mistake when I first started out, I planted 4, 3 died the next summer, the last one is still alive, but I am pretty sure it is just a flowering crab, it has I dark purplish leaf, and it has never grown apples.

All good tips,J Bird

In addition, i will lift tree out of container to examine rootball for circling,etc

bill

As spring is on it's way for many of us....I wanted to just remind those of us that are tempted by the trees we see for sale at the big box stores.

#1 - many stores will sell trees that are NOT adaptable to your area. I saw this already...I was tempted to purchase a variety of oak I don't have on my place. I stepped back and did a search on the web...there is a reason I don't have them on my place! Asking a tree to grow outside of it's natural range is a big task and it can be done, but often time results in a stunted tree at best.

#2 - many of these trees (fruit trees) will NOT tell you what the root stock is. As such you are missing a big piece of information about that tree. Sure they may tell you it's a dwarf or semi-dwarf...but that tends to be about it. Root stock controls how big the tree will get and how quickly it will be capable of bearing fruit. You might be able to search the Nursery that grew the trees web site to find what root stock they use, but again...do your homework. None of use want a dwarf or semi-dwarf tree that isn't suitable to our soil or takes forever to bear fruit.

#3 - pay attention to varieties. Not all "apple" trees are the same.... Many of the varieties sold at these locations are sold for fruit for people to eat and as a result tend to be varieties that are NOT very disease resistant. Again...the internet can be your friend.

#4 - also in case your looking at other plants "Deer resistant" doesn't mean a thing.....deer can't read! Sure the deer may not prefer that plant....but hunger makes critters eat anything they can reach!

Don't guess/hope....KNOW what your buying! I post this because of my own mistakes, ignorance and stubbornness.... do it right the first time or be prepared to do it again!

.......If the store manager catches you lifting trees out of container to examine the root ball....

.........you might be a habitat guy

bill

I have had decent luck with survival, but I water all summer as well. However, it's when you realize you have all this time invested in a tree that suffers from disease or takes much longer to fruit or doesn't fruit like you had hoped (crab apples) that you get frustrated. Sure you can still work the tree, but that is more of a salvage effort. You can find good stuff as well. I have seen Enterprise apples, Kieffer pears, grafted persimmons and chestnut hill chestnuts. I have seen different oak trees as well...so you can find some gems. You just have to be armed with the information to make a smart purchase.

Opposite end of the spectrum zone wise than many on the forum, but universal truths you shared still VERY much apply. Big box stores regularly sell fruit tree cultivars here that never will see enough chill hours to produce a single fruit. Local nurseries on the other hand tend to focus on special low-chill cultivars that will produce.

On a semi-related big box store note, hybrid tea roses are about the worst here as the big box stores fill their shelves with many cultivars that dont handle heat and humdity well and struggle to just stay alive while looking downright pitiful. That said, the most PLEASANT plant surprise I ever had came from Costco after I bought 3 "Miracle on the Hudson" red rose bushes on a lark. They're a true hybrid tea with simple deep red velvety blooms and unlike many others they've seriously proven bullet proof! Actually propogating cuttings right now to have more.

16112518_10211980418041265_2160257355995635310_o.jpg

16177616_10211980424721432_1100732288964063822_o.jpg

I didn't read this before I posted my thread... LOL...

I won’t show you my giant Keifer pear trees that have been putting out fruit and sooo much for the last 5 years I bought from Lowe’s when I knew nothing and these trees are da bomb lol. Oh yea the deer love them also0FE6FD9A-6AA3-4D25-83B5-593C03E71B20.jpeg

I think there are some nice potential scions on those trees, which is presumably what you are growing big box trees for, but there is too much fruit in the way to tell for sure.

I won’t show you my giant Keifer pear trees that have been putting out fruit and sooo much for the last 5 years I bought from Lowe’s when I knew nothing and these trees are da bomb lol. Oh yea the deer love them alsoView attachment 23243

Same experience for me here, I started out buying fruit trees from TSC the tags said standard for size. The pears have done the best the apples are OK but no faster growing/producing than some of the nursery apple trees I’ve put in. I got lucky and didn’t loose any of them and lucky with the trees. Anymore just grafting my own is way more enjoyable if I can keep finding space to plant them. When I first started I had no idea I would get the fruit tree bug and end up planting so many.

It seems a lot on here started out with some kind of box store fruit trees, I agree it’s a much safer bet all the way around buying from a good nursery.

I just can't help buying trees,I have 10 chestnuts to plant and really want to buy some more fruit trees.I haven't planted any oaks or shrubs for 2 years now

I just can't help buying trees,I have 10 chestnuts to plant and really want to buy some more fruit trees.I haven't planted any oaks or shrubs for 2 years now
I'm the same way. but had a guy tell me to care for the ones I have rather than be sticking new ones in all the time. Probably good advice. but man, do I love the thought of lots of big, mature, mast bearing trees.

I also had awesome luck with Keifer pear trees from Walmart, lowes and tractor supply. Apple trees have pretty much been a bust for me though from big box stores.

I think there are some nice potential scions on those trees, which is presumably what you are growing big box trees for, but there is too much fruit in the way to tell for sure.
I can get you half inch diameter scions for sure maybe a bit larger too but I never grafted pears. These Keifers are almost self pruning also,as the fruit load has taken down many limbs over the years lol

M
I'm the same way. but had a guy tell me to care for the ones I have rather than be sticking new ones in all the time. Probably good advice. but man, do I love the thought of lots of big, mature, mast bearing trees.
Same here. I have a young orchard I’ve planted over the last couple years. I keep telling my wife just give it a few years and imagine what these trees will look like. She doesn’t have a great imagination and thinks they just look like sticks right now. Bloom is right around the corner and can’t wait to see the new growth this year.

First year I planted fruit trees i grabbed two kieffer from tractor supply for $15 each. 5 years later one was loaded with pears and the other is close behind.

Now that I’ve figured out how to graft I have little use for big box trees but I think they are OK if they are on sale and you understand the downsides. I wouldn’t buy 50 of them but I’m really happy with the two i got.

493414BB-0FFE-41AF-8F96-9E3D5BB0B9EF.jpeg

I know some of you loathe box store trees but I couldn’t help myself. I was at Menard’s getting the remesh that was on sale and found 2 very tall potted Kieffer Pear trees. One measures 10’ above the pot the other 9’. Not the biggest calipers but I’ll stake them down good. I paid $25 for 3’ whips this year so even if these put on no growth for a few years they have quite the head start. Slightly rootbound but I can help that along at planting in the next week or so.