Found Some Antiques

Natty Bumppo

5 year old buck +
Piggy backing on Native Hunter's thread....my grandfather was (and is) my hero. It's because of him I hunt and fish and enjoy all things out of doors. He was of the "greatest generation"....born in the 20's, grew up poor in a rural mill town, dropped out of school at grade 8 to work in those mills, drafted and served 3 years in WWII, came home and married my grandmother and worked his ass off and raised my father and hunted every chance he could. He was a deer hunter. But he was more an avid rabbit hunter. Back in the 50's and 60's every small town around her had a Hound and Hunt club. I grew up hearing stories about my gramp chasing "whites" and "grey-bobs" in western Mass. and Vermont.

He died about 10 years ago and I still miss him. My 95 year old grandmother was going through some things recently and found an old cardboard box that my gramp had tucked away in the attic..she gave it to me and I enjoyed a little walk back through time as I went through my gramp's box. A lot of good memories. I didn't start hunting until the 80's, but I thought I'd share as I know many of you have those same 50's, 60's and 70's era experiences.

The box and its contents...

IMG_5155.JPG

IMG_5156.JPG

Some close ups of the paperwork....

IMG_5157.JPGIMG_5158.JPGIMG_5159.JPG

Looks like he ordered a custom collar for one of his beagles and kept it as a memory after the dog was gone. His favorite beagle was named "Jack." I'm guessing this is Jack's collar.

IMG_5162.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5162.JPG
    IMG_5162.JPG
    133.7 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Some old ammo that was in the box. The little cloth pouch had .45 ammo inside. He brought home a 1911A1 from WWII. He gave that to me just before he died.

IMG_5163.JPG

A neat little .25 automatic. Made in West Germany.

IMG_5164.JPG

IMG_5165.JPG

And an old school deer call.

IMG_5166.JPG

IMG_5167.JPG

Here's a pic of my gramp with his favorite beagle Jack.

scan0002 (2).jpg

And one of the last pics of him before he died....

100_2192.jpg

Great stuff there Nattie. Thanks for sharing.

Too cool. Made me tear up thinking about rabbit hunting with my Uncle Bob and his beagle Dusty. Thanks for sharing

Great pieces from the past.