Found an antique

Native Hunter

5 year old buck +
I was digging through some old boxes yesterday and found this. It brought back some old memories. I remember as a child ordering a lot of hunting and fishing things from Herters.

UO68AYK.jpg

5qiKb37.jpg

5PV1HxV.jpg

BMxdhPI.jpg

mEC9AQA.jpg

ow3QSyV.jpg

mF7MBlo.jpg

I have a pair of Herters Wood Duck decoys around here somewhere. Good find Native!

Those are awesome finds/memories to dig up. Thanks for sharing.

I thought that warning about not attempting to blow the call until you read their instructions was funny. It sounds just like I remember them being - their way was the only way....

When one of my great uncles passed my aunt gave my dad of box of his hunting things. There was a lot of things from Hereters in that box.

This thread made me do a search. I have a couple signed Glynn Scobey duck and goose calls. There going for like $200 on eBay. I think I paid the man $20 for 2 at the Harrisburg sportsman’s show years ago. Best goose call out there IMO.

Herters used to be awesome, I bought decoys and all kind of waterfowl gear from them when I was younger. Then Cabela's bought them up and fazed everything out. Cabela's did the same with Restle decoys.

I can remember being 3, 4 or 5 and my Dad driving down to Herters to get some duck decoys and him showing me all of the mounted animals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can remember being 3, 4 or 5 and my Dad driving down to Herters to get some duck decoys and him showing me all of the mounted animals.

Do you still have any of those old decoys? I'm sure seeing those mounts was impressive to young fellow. My boys were excited the first time they went to Cabalas and saw all the mounts there.

Do you still have any of those old decoys? I'm sure seeing those mounts was impressive to young fellow. My boys were excited the first time they went to Cabalas and saw all the mounts there.

I have a couple of my Dad’s wooden decoys.

That's pretty neat. To me those old wooden decoys are an overlooked piece of American history. There's a waterfowl/ decoy museum in Maryland I'd love to visit. A pair of old decoys on a mantel or hung in a corner makes a place feel cozy.

My first duck and goose calls were from Olt. Came in those old school cardboard boxes with clear plastic tops. Probably still have them somewhere. I love that old memorabilia.

That's pretty neat Native. Nice find.

Thanks guys.

PS: I still have an old Herter's Professional Guides Manual that my Dad bought me when I was a child. It was a cool old book back then with some information that you wouldn't find anywhere else. I recall one bit of information was to plant apple seed on the property where you hunt and that deer wouldn't leave an area with apples, even when hunted hard. I guess they were ahead of their time.

I might get that book out later and start another thread on some of the advice in there. It might make for some good conversation.....

Very cool Native! Reminds me of digging through my grandfathers things. I was enthralled in waterfowling when i was young so anything with a Herters label was like gold!

Fun to see that old stuff