Food plot preparation

chbarnha

5 year old buck +
Well I have all my seed for my fall plots. I am going with the green cover seed fall release blend which I am going to add 50lbs of soybeans to, as well as add 50-100 more pounds of rye the last week of September. My plot is planted in the summer release blend with a pretty good stand of milo. My plan is to bushhog strips through the milo after broadcasting seed and roll it after, leaving some of the milo standing with the seed broadcasted in. Here is the plot
b73f63f8b31409351d2fef1cfed2264b.jpg

I was going to wait until Labor Day or so to plant this blend but see this In the forecast
b56663d3c285d7eca0920e58cc3891c9.jpg

So would you go now? Or wait until around Labor Day to plant? Any modifications you would make to this plan?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m assuming that’s West Point Georgia or Mississippi. I would wait until late September or early October.

I’m assuming that’s West Point Georgia or Mississippi. I would wait until late September or early October.

West Point, Va

I like Grant Woods but rolling and planting into flattened Milo is about the dumbest idea on the internet.

Carry on..

I like Grant Woods but rolling and planting into flattened Milo is about the dumbest idea on the internet.

Carry on..

I’m not flattening all of the milo or rolling all of it, I am going to broadcast into all of it and then bushhog strips, and roll the bushhogged strips. I intend to leave a lot of the milo standing and allow the rye wheat and such to come up in the standing milo as well as the bushhogged strips unless that’s a dumb idea as well

I’m not flattening all of the milo or rolling all of it, I am going to broadcast into all of it and then bushhog strips, and roll the bushhogged strips. I intend to leave a lot of the milo standing and allow the rye wheat and such to come up in the standing milo as well as the bushhogged strips unless that’s a dumb idea as well

I know, was just a reference to his blends and methods.. Terminating a perfectly good grain crop.

Re: Above - Not dumb at all. If you want to mow, I’d try seeding with a blower first, or something to get it broadcast above everything. Then mow as low as you can after seeding. Essentially a TnM at that point - same as you outlined above.

Broadcasting into your plot “as is” may be tough unless you have much open soil for the seed to come in contact with.

Outside the box: I always think from a hunting perspective, don’t ever discount what standing cover can add to your plot(s) in the fall either. Edges, screening, mowed paths, etc will all dictate deer travel as well as help/hurt your own access and hunting locations. Any grain you’re terminating is less late season food as well, hence my previous commentary..

Last edited:
I know, was just a reference to his blends and methods.. Terminating a perfectly good grain crop.

Re: Above - Not dumb at all. If you want to mow, I’d try seeding with a blower first, or something to get it broadcast above everything. Then mow as low as you can after seeding. Essentially a TnM at that point - same as you outlined above.

Broadcasting into your plot “as is” may be tough unless you have much open soil for the seed to come in contact with.

Outside the box: I always think from a hunting perspective, don’t ever discount what standing cover can add to your plot(s) in the fall either. Edges, screening, mowed paths, etc will all dictate deer travel as well as help/hurt your own access and hunting locations. Any grain you’re terminating is less late season food as well, hence my previous commentary..

Thanks for the reply, this plot is only about 3/4 of an acre. There is a stand in the hardwoods about 30 yards off this plot and a stand that can shoot the other edge of the plot to bow hunt. It is surrounded by thick cutover on two sides and hardwoods on the other two sides. Mainly making this more of a hunting plot more so than a destination. We killed some deer in it last year but just trying to maximize its potential. I thought leaving the milo in most of the plot was a good idea and then cutting a few “paths” through it and rolling those to try and get better germination. And let what comes up in the milo fend for itself. In the picture you will see the stand locations and I intend to cut these paths in from the point across to the stand by the pond dam. I guess we will see how it works. This plot doesn’t have the best ground which is why I’m concentrating on the soil building type plots at the moment. We don’t have milo in any ag fields around here so not sure how the deer will use it come the late season but I guess we will see. Thanks again
60dbac626e790e81175528bb3bd49499.jpg

7673ed06c12a143db25efd217001aa3e.jpg

Looks great! That bushogging strips through a summer plot for a fall plant has worked well for me well for me!

That plot looks beautiful!!

Would be hard for me to bring myself to terminate/destroy

bill

I just use a Solo chest mount broadcast spreader for small plots and a 3-pt broadcast spreader for larger ones.

Sorry, I thought I replied to Bassatackr. The seeders that blow seed out a common leaf blower seem impressive