Foggy, and any other. Flail mower question.

omicron1792

5 year old buck +
I don’t have any experience with a flail mower. I’ve basically been using a bush hog to mow trials and such. I now have lots of clover and such I’ll need to keep cleaned up as well as my trails to justify a flail mower.

Any advice would be appreciated. Mainly will be grass and grain and food plot cutting. Probably still use my bush hog for rough stuff.

Was looking at Titan 72” for 2200. Don’t really want to spend 5-6k for this, but tell me if I’m wrong.

I love a flail mower and have been using one for about 20 years. They are not great for very tall grassy weeds and woody brush. Keeping the blades sharp is very important, and sharpening them is fairly time consuming. But for mowing food plots and fields I prefer them over brush hogs as they pulverize everything and leave smaller bits behind that break down quicker and do not smother the standing crop.

When I bought my flail mower I kept my bush hog for rough duty things. However I have never put my bush hog (rotary cutter) back on my tractor after getting my Woodmaxx Flail Mower. I dont think the Titan brand was yet on the market......so I did not research that brand. I had read so many good reviews on the Woodmaxx Flail mower (and their other products) that I bought that brand.

I really wanted the heavy hammers when I bought.....but could only get a unit with the knives. And I bought an extra set of knives and a set of replacement belts at the time of purchase.. A screw backed out on the flail mower and that bolt head shredded a belt for me......so I was glad I had the spares. Never have changed the knives or sharpened them to this point. I have rolled some fence wire into the knives and an old fence post and some old steel from the pioneer times. No damage to the unit (or me) but it was allot to cut it free. The lift-up access panel is nice for such stuff. I've been able to cut brush to at least the same size as I would tackle with my rotary cutter.

I have no concerns for safety with the flail. It makes a much superior mulch and disperses it uniformly across the cutting width. I should sell my rotary I suppose......as I have little use for it now.
I did get a wide enough machine to cover my rear tires and a hydraulic side shift which is somewhat helpful to keep my tractor away from tree limbs when mowing along the trail and food plot edges. Also better around my building site. My hydraulic top link and hydraulic side shift allows easy adjustment to the mower. Nice features.

I have cut through a heavy stand of saplings to 4" diameter to form new trails and bedding spots. I did think I would use my old rotary cutter for this stuff.....but have not done so. The flail just chews it up and leaves you with mulch (and a few sharp sticks poking out of the ground).

Finally......it pretty much stays on my tractor as a ballast box when doing loader work. It's more compact with it being closer coupled to my 3 point than other implements......and it's fairly heavy. I'd own another Woodmaxx product in a heart-beat.