Fish Feeders

buckdeer1

5 year old buck +
I need a feeder that will throw feed further out from shore,any ideas

Put it on a float?

I agree with Jack.

I was a fish farmer on the North Sea, and our feeders were on a float and positioned with ropes. Most effective way to do it.

Is the feeder for a pond? If so how wide is it where you want the feeder placed? I have a similar situation and installed a feeder located on a float secured by rope and pulleys to posts located on opposite sides of the pond bank. Easy to pull it in to refill and reposition.

I have a texas hunter and have been very happy with it. Solar panel option to handle recharging the battery. Other than one new battery, it has been great for 4 years.

Is the feeder for a pond? If so how wide is it where you want the feeder placed? I have a similar situation and installed a feeder located on a float secured by rope and pulleys to posts located on opposite sides of the pond bank. Easy to pull it in to refill and reposition.

Did you build it yourself or buy one?

bill

Did you build it yourself or buy one?

bill
The feeder is a Moultrie with a 24 hour digital timer, it is mounted on the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket that came with the feeder at time of purchase almost ten years ago. The price was about $59. as I remember. I made float out of pressure treated wood and two 55 gallon plastic barrels. I have the feeder programmed to feed five seconds one time per day. A five gallon fillup of fish pellets lasts about two weeks. I have attached a few photos of trout coming to the surface to grab a floating fish pellet.

Attachments

• IMG_5558.JPG
    IMG_5558.JPG
    156.2 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_5563.JPG
    IMG_5563.JPG
    116.8 KB · Views: 44
Do you have any pics of feeder?I made a floating goose nest out of 4" PVC glued together forming a square.I have seen turtle traps made like this with a screen cage built on bottom.If it was little bigger bet it would the feeder

Do you have any pics of feeder?I made a floating goose nest out of 4" PVC glued together forming a square.I have seen turtle traps made like this with a screen cage built on bottom.If it was little bigger bet it would the feeder
I don't have any pictures of the feeder but I will take a few next week when I go to camp.

I was able to snap a couple of pictures of the feeder while at camp yesterday.

Attachments

• IMG_5669.JPG
    IMG_5669.JPG
    427.1 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_5670.JPG
    IMG_5670.JPG
    401.7 KB · Views: 41
Thanks that gives me some ideas,did you anchor

It is anchored to T-posts located on opposite sides of the pond so it moves back and forth a little with the slack in the line depending on wind direction. There is a pulley secured to each T-post with the line wrapped around the pulley and the ends secured to opposite sides of the float. I can easily pull the float in to fill or reposition the feeder. I put a clamp on the line to make sure the feeder stays in the proper location.

I am done with the moultrie directional feeder.It could be a good option as it throws food far enough since I mounted on pole about 8ft from edge.problem is that it's not water proof.Everytime it rains it gets wet and food clogs up.I have tried covering the gap with inner tube and tape and about everything else I could think of.First problem was coons would unscrew the motor off and drop in water,replaced that and screwed on.Second coons would take lid off and eat all the feed.Guess I will try out the Texas Hunter brand unless anyone has any other recommendations

After trying a cheaper one off Amazon, I just ordered another Texas hunter this week. Price, as with everything, is way up in 5 years.

which model

The 175 capacity one is the one I ordered and already have 1 of.

The 175 capacity one is the one I ordered and already have 1 of.
Does that unit really throw feed as advertised in their literature?

Yeah, it is really well built. I had to buy a new timer after 4 years. A new battery every couple years. Other than that it is built very solid. I got a Chinese one off Amazon last year and it feels like a tin can compared to the Texas feeder.