First taste of several apples - not from camp trees

Bowsnbucks

5 year old buck +
I had the chance to sample a couple apples that we have at camp - but those I tasted weren't from our camp trees. At least I know what to expect from our trees when they do produce. These were all fresh picked from the orchard we visited.
Priscilla - Crisp, crunchy, juicy. A little more sweet than tart. Good eater.
Prairie Spy - Harder apple, crisp & crunchy, very juicy, more on the tart side. A good eater.
Dayton - Another crisp & crunchy apple. Juicy, sweet & tart balance. Good eater.

I also tried a Sweet 16. We don't have this at camp, but from what I've read on here and seen in Prof. Kent's video clip, it's a very different taste for an apple. I noticed the "cherry candy" taste right away. One thing I noticed - and it was evident - the further I ate down toward the blossom end of the apple, the sweeter and stronger the "cherry" taste was. It was very snappy-crunchy, juicy, a sweeter apple. Very different after-taste.

Just some info for those of you who have any of these apple trees & haven't had them produce yet.

I had the chance to sample a couple apples that we have at camp - but those I tasted weren't from our camp trees. At least I know what to expect from our trees when they do produce. These were all fresh picked from the orchard we visited.
Priscilla - Crisp, crunchy, juicy. A little more sweet than tart. Good eater.
Prairie Spy - Harder apple, crisp & crunchy, very juicy, more on the tart side. A good eater.
Dayton - Another crisp & crunchy apple. Juicy, sweet & tart balance. Good eater.

I also tried a Sweet 16. We don't have this at camp, but from what I've read on here and seen in Prof. Kent's video clip, it's a very different taste for an apple. I noticed the "cherry candy" taste right away. One thing I noticed - and it was evident - the further I ate down toward the blossom end of the apple, the sweeter and stronger the "cherry" taste was. It was very snappy-crunchy, juicy, a sweeter apple. Very different after-taste.

Just some info for those of you who have any of these apple trees & haven't had them produce yet.

I have found that the cherry flavor in the Sweet Sixteen is in the skin or just under it. Eating the flesh without the skin has no cherry flavor.
Also, if picked to early the cherry flavor was missing. Without the cherry flavor its just another crunchy, sweet apple.

Sounds like a taste bud treat Bows. Thanks for sharing!

Figured I'd share some taste info - even though taste is subjective ! - of some apples we talk about on here. I'm always interested to hear what you guys on here have to say about your trees, their fruit, and the taste.
Our Prairie Spy tree at camp is pretty good size ( Antonovka roots from SLN ) and has produced a couple apples that other members picked and ate. So this opportunity was the first time I tasted one.

Our Priscillas and Daytons may produce an apple or 2 next year, but I'll pull them early to let the tree grow. It'll be a few more years until I let them grow fruit for tasting.

One orchard owner in N.Y. told me that his Empire apples are the ones deer gravitate to first - FWIW. He sprays them regularly - us wildlife growers may not do the same.

Figured I'd share some taste info - even though taste is subjective ! - of some apples we talk about on here. I'm always interested to hear what you guys on here have to say about your trees, their fruit, and the taste.
Our Prairie Spy tree at camp is pretty good size ( Antonovka roots from SLN ) and has produced a couple apples that other members picked and ate. So this opportunity was the first time I tasted one.

Our Priscillas and Daytons may produce an apple or 2 next year, but I'll pull them early to let the tree grow. It'll be a few more years until I let them grow fruit for tasting.

One orchard owner in N.Y. told me that his Empire apples are the ones deer gravitate to first - FWIW. He sprays them regularly - us wildlife growers may not do the same.
Bowsnbucks, you are the only other person I know that has a Dayton tree. I love them. They don't store longe before going kind of soft but a great tasting apple!

Prof Kent - My camp has 2 Daytons growing. Both on MM-111. I agree it's a good eater.

Dayton. On my want list. I’ve seen it on Kent’s utube channel. I’m a sucker for beautiful red red apples.
Sweet Sixteen. Sugar bomb! The juice I made was THE BEST as a single. As my tree gets bigger (and I hope to graft more) I see it as the best base for hard cider although I haven’t measured sugar yet.

The orchard in N.Y. where I got the apples I named in post #1 had a batch of apples there. The usual stuff was there, but I wanted to try apples we have at camp and also Sweet 16. You're right Jhoss - Sweet 16 is delicious !!

I just tried one of their Sundance apples …...…… great eater as well. Snappy, crisp & juicy. Sweet with a bit of tart. I can't wait for Sundance from camp trees.

Bump for another apple taste-try.

I thought I'd mentioned Crimson Topaz on here somewhere, but If I did, I can't find it. I got to taste some Crimson Topaz from a local orchard near where I live. It's another WOW in the flavor dept. They were fresh picked when I tried them. Crisp, snappy - sweet and tart balanced. For me and my taste buds, I put it right there with Goldrush. I bought 1/2 bushel and when I shared some with 5 other people, the response was the same from all of them. " Oh WOW " !! They wanted to know what kind of apple it was & where could they get some too. That was in October.

I still have a few Crimson Topaz left. They've gotten a bit sponge-y when I cut them into quarters, but the taste is still killer. They're a tad less bite-y and more mellow now. They're less juicy now too, but I only keep them in an un-heated garage - not refrig. storage. Maybe refrig. storage would keep them crisper and more juicy ?? I just cut some to add to a big pot of applesauce I'm simmering. They still taste super good, and add a nice tang to home-made applesauce.

Check out Crimson Topaz for yourselves - it's a red sport of Topaz. It's resistant to several diseases, and is a really good eater. Don't know it's drop times yet - the 2 we have at camp are too young to bear yet. Ripe at our local orchard in mid-October here in southeast Pa. FWIW.

I thought I'd mentioned Crimson Topaz on here somewhere, but If I did, I can't find it. I got to taste some Crimson Topaz from a local orchard near where I live. It's another WOW in the flavor dept. They were fresh picked when I tried them. Crisp, snappy - sweet and tart balanced. For me and my taste buds, I put it right there with Goldrush. I bought 1/2 bushel and when I shared some with 5 other people, the response was the same from all of them. " Oh WOW " !! They wanted to know what kind of apple it was & where could they get some too. That was in October.

I still have a few Crimson Topaz left. They've gotten a bit sponge-y when I cut them into quarters, but the taste is still killer. They're a tad less bite-y and more mellow now. They're less juicy now too, but I only keep them in an un-heated garage - not refrig. storage. Maybe refrig. storage would keep them crisper and more juicy ?? I just cut some to add to a big pot of applesauce I'm simmering. They still taste super good, and add a nice tang to home-made applesauce.

Check out Crimson Topaz for yourselves - it's a red sport of Topaz. It's resistant to several diseases, and is a really good eater. Don't know it's drop times yet - the 2 we have at camp are too young to bear yet. Ripe at our local orchard in mid-October here in southeast Pa. FWIW.

What varieties are in your apple sauce?

I just finished a chestnut apple sauce milk shake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The bud itself could be dead.

Bows what town do you live in?

I’ve been hitting the local orchards around here this year trying all the apples from trees I’m growing or want to grow. One thing I’ve found out is I’m not a big McIntosh/empire type Apple fan but I can see how these apples would be great for deer

Excellent! I Planted 3 of them that will be coming into their 3rd leaf this year.

Bur - The applesauce is a mixture of several apples. Macs, Idared, Pink Lady, Crimson Topaz, & Autumn Crisp. I made it "home-style" - not running it through a food mill of any kind, so it's soft & smallish-chunky. Great taste when a bit warm. No added sugar - tastes great just as it is.