First shrub to bloom - id?

West Branch

5 year old buck +
Seeing a few of these and never quite noticed them before. Some seem to be alone randomly in the woods and some in thickets. Anyone know what it is?

Closeup:

Thicket:

I was thinking that was a possibility. Some of the trees I know 100% are plums are not blooming yet.

It seems like when I notice something new on my place it typically ends up being something bad! Nice thing to have around there WB.

Any of you guys ever eat the plums from the wild trees ?? I read they're edible, but small.

I rechecked the trees in the original pics and see the thorns I did not notice at first. So plum makes even more sense now. Checked other plum thicket and they aren't quite to full bloom.

Also noticed quite a few chokecherry blooming. At least 90% sure they are chokecherry.

They can get pretty sour eating raw. I made some jelly last fall that I though was damn good and everyone else seemed to agree.
Double like!

The fruit looks so tempting at times. Every year I sucker myself into eating one! :eek: I dont know how coyotes eat scat piles full of them. No matter how nice they look the ones around here will put a pucker on your face!

Last edited:
I eat them off the ground as soon as they begin falling. I can't say with absolute certainty the ones I've had are wild. I've never seen a plum from the wilds i've planted. I'm just scavenging out of Dad's windbreak.

the first on our farm blooming are the wild plums.The chokecherries are getting close but no sign on the saskatoons yet.It is snowing right now with frost predicted the next 3 days so i hope the blooming holds off.

The wild plums in my area are sweeter than candy. They are a little thicker than a quarter. They might be American plum, but they grow pretty wild in ditches and fence rows.

How big are the wild plums fruit ? I don't think I've ever seen one here in NH but, as I was driving today I saw some bushes blooming like West Branches photos. Just not as many blossoms.

I was looking at some other bushes blooming with narrower petals and less flowers than the plums and after some googling I think they are serviceberries. no pictures.

I am about 20 miles northwest of International Falls,MN on the canadian side.

when I worked in the woods on a survey crew, I found some plums that must have been the Canadian plums.
A single bush in the understory with only one or two plums. Tasted great to me.

Canadian plumsmight be a good choice for some areas.

Yes,we do have apples up here.My grandparents had a green thumb for growing them.I can not remember what they were .I have found 30-40 that I am sure are crab apples on the farm.I opened the area up and pruned a few of them.Looking forward to see what they are and what they do this summer.

Yes,we do have apples up here.My grandparents had a green thumb for growing them.I can not remember what they were .I have found 30-40 that I am sure are crab apples on the farm.I opened the area up and pruned a few of them.Looking forward to see what they are and what they do this summer.
Please post some pictures and if your grand parents are alive, or any other old timers, get us some names of the apple varieties.. Thanks!

My grandparents have long since passed on and the farm is being sold after my uncles death.I called my mom and she confirmed what I thought the apples were.Minnesota 447 and norlund were the two we remember.Might have been a hyers # 12 rings a bell too to me.I did a search and looks like they r still available.You are around Brainerd area sandbur?

My grandparents have long since passed on and the farm is being sold after my uncles death.I called my mom and she confirmed what I thought the apples were.Minnesota 447 and norlund were the two we remember.Might have been a hyers # 12 rings a bell too to me.I did a search and looks like they r still available.You are around Brainerd area sandbur?
Yes, born in Brainerd and land north and south of Brainerd. Mn447 is now called Frostbite. Norland was one of the best producers for an orchard about 15 miles from me last summer. That was after one of our coldest winters since about 1996 or so.
Norland is zone 2 rated if my memory is correct.

We use to go to Brainerd a couple times a year but havent the last 3 or so.In February, we brought our year old grandson and daughter to Rapid River Lodge.The little guy was afraid of the water at first but once he got going we had to drag him out .If we were any closer to a Mills Fleetfarm I am sure Id be bankrupt.Quick trip to Bemidji today.Has anyone used Redmond minerals?