First fawn to survive one week

5 year old buck +
Of the three fawns I have on camera, this is the only one to survive past a few days. Coyotes have been the main predators. This doe is distinguished by the fact she does not have significant scaring on her body as the other two does had. Not sure what caused these scars (one photo attached of many).

55173784-5E0E-4DF8-BD9F-AFC95FBF0BF9.jpeg77A229FC-C5A8-413C-AD2C-752D0CD823F2.jpeg

It makes me jealous when I see fawn recruitment numbers from .8 to 1 fawn per doe. Mine hover around .3 fawns per doe. Adult does in my area average 1.7 fetuses each. There are a lot of fawns that have to die to go from 1.7 fetuses to .3 fawns in September.

I just finished the "Deer Stewardship" course and noted that .3 was mentioned as a pretty typical number in areas that have coyotes. This is my first year doing more than an informal camera survey, and I am glad I am doing so. Hopefully the numbers will help inform our coops doe harvest goals. We have lots of does, but very poor recruitment, based on both the photos and what I am hearing from my farming neighbors who tend to see more deer than most.

I just finished the "Deer Stewardship" course and noted that .3 was mentioned as a pretty typical number in areas that have coyotes. This is my first year doing more than an informal camera survey, and I am glad I am doing so. Hopefully the numbers will help inform our coops doe harvest goals. We have lots of does, but very poor recruitment, based on both the photos and what I am hearing from my farming neighbors who tend to see more deer than most.
The way to overcome a fawn recruitment of .3 per doe is have a high number of does. I have a lot of does - but we dont shoot any - so the neighbors can. It can be challenging maintaining that number of does.

Reactions: 356
At my house this time of year the deer are pretty timely with sightings passing through the open area on top of the hill about a half hour after sunrise. I usually see the doe grouped together until they drop their fawns, after that I see them together for a week or so and then separate until fall. I started with 3 doe and 4 fawns (that I know of) in May and now I’m down to 1 doe with her fawn and 2 doe alone.
It is possible the fawns are nearby but I know for sure 1 didn’t make it when I found this in my driveway last Friday :(
5B26CBB9-E11E-456D-91ED-DCEAAE5C9A38.jpeg

There is a pretty good population of feral hogs in my area. All the research and propaganda says hogs can have 8 to 10 in a litter. The average size litter of pigs in my area - by the time they reach 30 lbs - is about four. I think the yotes keep the hogs somewhat in check. But, that also means there is a healthy year round supply of coyotes that immediately switch to eating fawns this time of year. The coyotes know - trail cam pics of coyotes really increase in fawning cover this time of year. We have no rabbits, cotton rats, voles, mice, quail - and almost no turkeys. I guess the good news is I dont have to protect tree trunks from rodents.

Seeing way more bears and wolves than fawns on N. MN cams right now too. It’s always discouraging.

CFCA194B-8A88-4A1A-B66A-ABF5A844A8B2.jpeg

Part of a fawn hoof I found in a coyote dropping. They have about got them all around here now.