Firminator RT?

Boll Weevil

5 year old buck +
Anyone looked into or have any experience with these?1622067696757.png

Have had discussions with Steve Bartylla on this when reviewing our property. It's what he uses for his land mgmt projects and feels it is a great choice for food plot work. Not sure if he has this version or the disk style.

I wouldn't use the tiller and drill together unless the ground conditions were perfect. I've had to roll the ground once then seed when the dirt is really loose. Would bury small seed to deep.

I have a stand alone tiller and it is slow to till soil. I have a woods seeder with a disk gang in front of a spike roller, which is in front of a cultipacker - and that outfit really works well at 3.8 to 4 mph. That is on decent ground, normal planting. I agree about possibly too much fluff in the soil, especially for small seed. However, I have not used this model.

Interesting concept.. Tiller towing a Seeder/Cultipacker. Should work well single pass if the ground has already been worked before.

If starting new plot(s), it would be handy to have the separate disc or tiller + cultipacker implements perhaps. I always wonder about the weight/effectiveness of the small cultipackers on the back of those single pass type seeders vs a "true cultipacker" with larger 9"-10" packing wheels.

Buddy has something similar called a collari. It has its time and place but he rarely if ever uses it now. It’s super slow and has since replaced it with a drill.

Interesting concept.. Tiller towing a Seeder/Cultipacker. Should work well single pass if the ground has already been worked before.

If starting new plot(s), it would be handy to have the separate disc or tiller + cultipacker implements perhaps. I always wonder about the weight/effectiveness of the small cultipackers on the back of those single pass type seeders vs a "true cultipacker" with larger 9"-10" packing wheels.
As with most of these hybrid type instruments, ease and comvenience is somewhat traded for perfection. No, the cultipacker incorporated on the back of these machines, like on my Woods Seeder, does not work as well as a stand alone, 750 lb cultipacker - but I dont have to go back to the shed and get a cultipacker and I dont have to make another pass over the field. The single disk gang on my woods seeder does not stir up the dirt like my 1900 lb dual gang Mississippi Molene disk. But I dont have to make a pass with the disk and then go get planting equipment. Does a woods seeder plant as well as a no till drill - in most cases, no - but a no-till drill will not plant into hog rooting, smooth out your trail on the way to the plot, or fix erosion in your food plot.

Would I buy one of these supposed hybrid units if I was a row cropper looking to squeeze the highest bushels per acre - no. But, a lot of these types of equipment do a dang good job at planting food plots. I bought mine to reduce planting time over the old spray, disk, spread, and cultipack or drag method. Now, it is spray and plant, and not only is it quicker, it produces a better crop.

I cant get by with just a no-till drill. I cant get by with just a disk. Cant get by with just a spreader. But, These combination units can do a dang good job - especially when conditions are at least fair - but dont think they are going to be the best of all things.

^ This. It’s just under 2mi from where I store equipment to my furthest, and biggest plot. To go back and forth picking up implements, time, fuel...even if a combo unit like this is slower it’s still less time than than running back and forth.

As with most of these hybrid type instruments, ease and comvenience is somewhat traded for perfection. No, the cultipacker incorporated on the back of these machines, like on my Woods Seeder, does not work as well as a stand alone, 750 lb cultipacker - but I dont have to go back to the shed and get a cultipacker and I dont have to make another pass over the field. The single disk gang on my woods seeder does not stir up the dirt like my 1900 lb dual gang Mississippi Molene disk. But I dont have to make a pass with the disk and then go get planting equipment. Does a woods seeder plant as well as a no till drill - in most cases, no - but a no-till drill will not plant into hog rooting, smooth out your trail on the way to the plot, or fix erosion in your food plot.

Would I buy one of these supposed hybrid units if I was a row cropper looking to squeeze the highest bushels per acre - no. But, a lot of these types of equipment do a dang good job at planting food plots. I bought mine to reduce planting time over the old spray, disk, spread, and cultipack or drag method. Now, it is spray and plant, and not only is it quicker, it produces a better crop.

I cant get by with just a no-till drill. I cant get by with just a disk. Cant get by with just a spreader. But, These combination units can do a dang good job - especially when conditions are at least fair - but dont think they are going to be the best of all things.

All great points SC.

I have a stand alone tiller and it is slow to till soil. I have a woods seeder with a disk gang in front of a spike roller, which is in front of a cultipacker - and that outfit really works well at 3.8 to 4 mph. That is on decent ground, normal planting. I agree about possibly too much fluff in the soil, especially for small seed. However, I have not used this model.

Which Woods seeder do you use?

bill

I know where a 4 foot RT is that is for sale and has only planted about 5 acres total.