Firecracker Crab question

Farmsteader

Yearling... With promise
I have a firecracker crab that is about 5 years old. The last couple of years it has been loaded with fruit, but it just doesn't seem to be putting on any good new growth. It's about 6 feet tall and the weight of the fruit is pulling the branches to grow down. I did remove some fruit on a couple of small new shoots this spring hoping they will develop into a central leader. From what I remember when I order it, I think it's supposed to be a naturally dwarfing tree. It was a bare root tree and I'm not sure if it has a graft union on the trunk. My question is " If I take a scion form this tree and graft it to a B118 root stock will it grow into a bigger tree and if so how big"

I have a firecracker crab that is about 5 years old. The last couple of years it has been loaded with fruit, but it just doesn't seem to be putting on any good new growth. It's about 6 feet tall and the weight of the fruit is pulling the branches to grow down. I did remove some fruit on a couple of small new shoots this spring hoping they will develop into a central leader. From what I remember when I order it, I think it's supposed to be a naturally dwarfing tree. It was a bare root tree and I'm not sure if it has a graft union on the trunk. My question is " If I take a scion form this tree and graft it to a B118 root stock will it grow into a bigger tree and if so how big"

Yes, 20'-25' I would think.

Great, that's what I was hoping to hear. I'm making a batch of wine from the crabs and am really impressed with the color and flavor so far. I reminds me of a cranberry wine I've had. I'm new to this forum and got interested in reading about this Kerr crab but can't seem to find any place that has them in stock. I guess for this year I''l have to settle for propagating my firecracker.
Thanks for the feedback.

Great, that's what I was hoping to hear. I'm making a batch of wine from the crabs and am really impressed with the color and flavor so far. I reminds me of a cranberry wine I've had. I'm new to this forum and got interested in reading about this Kerr crab but can't seem to find any place that has them in stock. I guess for this year I''l have to settle for propagating my firecracker.
Thanks for the feedback.

Welcome to the forum!
Check out the scion exchange thread...maybe someone can send you some Kerr.

Welcome to the forum!
Check out the scion exchange thread...maybe someone can send you some Kerr.
I'll check it out .
Thanks

My firecracker is probably 12 feet tall. I have no idea what the rootstock is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So what kind of soil do you have and how old is yours? I see from your posts that you have the kerr crab. How would you compare it with the firecracker, fruit size, taste and color? I was also wondering if you have a problem with fungal disease and fire blight in your area and are these crabs susceptible?

So what kind of soil do you have and how old is yours? I see from your posts that you have the kerr crab. How would you compare it with the firecracker, fruit size, taste and color? I was also wondering if you have a problem with fungal disease and fire blight in your area and are these crabs susceptible?

I have CAR and it does not seem to hit these trees real hard.

Kerr is later to ripen, a bit larger, and more purple in color. Firecracker is slightly smaller and not as tasty, but ok for adding to cider blend or ok for adding color to cider/sauce.
a6a460fa2d37ef2a9657351c04e1fa44.jpg

Adjustments.jpg

View attachment 27507

Thanks for the reply. My firecrackers look a little different. There more elongated and the outside have a darker color. I have no idea if mine was grafted or from a seedling. I suppose seedlings could show a difference in traits. I'll look for a picture of mine and post otherwise I'll have to wait until fall.