Firebreaks

yoderjac

5 year old buck +
Most of our firebreaks that surround a clear-cut disk up fine. We like to divide our clear-cuts and alternate which half we burn so we don't remove all the cover at ones. So, we have breaks running through the middle of our clearcuts.

I find these middle breaks somewhat problematic. They want to grow broomsedge like the rest of the clear-cut. Even after mowing and disking broomsedge, there is still enough debris on the break that it would be fairly easy for fire to jump it.

Any thoughts as to the best way to keep these breaks broomsedge free?

Broomsedge usually grows due to bad soil,either fix the soil or spray the broomsedge

Broomsedge usually grows due to bad soil,either fix the soil or spray the broomsedge
Not really worth amending soil on a firebreak. Spraying broomsedge would be an on-going maintenance issue. The soil is heavy clay. Broomsedge is in our seed bank and tends to grow any place the soil is disturbed.

Sometimes you can choke it out

This might have some info.

Might disc it, spray roundup when you get growth, then use some of those year long touch of death herbicides. Like imazapyr. IF you're ok with bare dirt.

Broomsedge growing next ot the firebreak, your likely gonna have a very tough fight.

That stuff grows 60-65 deg F, Choking it out with rye in the spring might help

Green firebreaks, but I'm guessing you don't want that?

And, if you’re mainly doing dormant season, Burns, you could just let it grow wild all summer, Mow and plant, Rye September, and that be it. Very easy quick fix.

Green firebreaks, but I'm guessing you don't want that?
Correct! I'm looking for something that is low maintenance. Right now, I basically have to mow it, disk it, let it desiccate, and disk again before a dormant season burn. I'm not concerned about broomsedge next to the break, I love it there. I just need to be able to stop fire at the break. I can't seem to figure out why my outer breaks don't have much if any broomsedge in them but the middle breaks do. They were all created by a dozer. I only have to hit the outer breaks once with a disk before fire. I wonder if the clay is more compressed on those outer breaks or something.

I don't want to add quality food on the breaks in the clear cut. That simply further discourages deer from leaving the clear-cut during daylight when there is hunting pressure.

I think one option would simply be to mow them before hunting season, but I'd prefer not to add that human presence right before the season. It would have time to desiccate before winter disking in prep for a dormant season burn. I thought maybe compression or something that is discouraging the broomsedge on the outer break. There are hardwoods or pines on the other side of the outer breaks, so it may simply be trees utilizing water and providing a little more shade on the outer breaks. I don't know.

Thanks for the suggestions folks,

Jack

Get a soil test and add the needled lime and/or phosphorus. Broomsedge thrives in low pH and/or low P soils.

Get a soil test and add the needled lime and/or phosphorus. Broomsedge thrives in low pH and/or low P soils.
Don't need a soil test. All of my unamended soil needs 4 tona/ac of lime. That might be an idea though. It would be a one-shot deal. The only problem I see is the broadcast width of the lime buggy I rent. This would be a great task for one of those Ez-Flow type lime droppers we see on one of the other threads.

Don't need a soil test. All of my unamended soil needs 4 tona/ac of lime. That might be an idea though. It would be a one-shot deal. The only problem I see is the broadcast width of the lime buggy I rent. This would be a great task for one of those Ez-Flow type lime droppers we see on one of the other threads.
Consider spraying with long acting herbicide like imazapyr once a year.