Finnaly got one of the troublemakers today

ruskbucks

5 year old buck +
So after completing his trapper ed course last year the kid has pretty much run his trap line by himself. After some near catches he finally connected. His grandma is happy between the coyotes and hawks they have killed about 30 of her chickens. He has been doing good on muskrats too, 24 so far. The neighbors have him trapping their ponds cause of the damage they are doing caving in the banks.

Attachments

• 1128210805.jpg
    1128210805.jpg
    354.4 KB · Views: 112
  • 1128210756b.jpg
    1128210756b.jpg
    555.5 KB · Views: 111
Wow! Thats awesome! Its like a lost art.

Wow! Thats awesome! Its like a lost art.
It is. You should see all the old trimmers when we take are fur in. They all come and talk to the kid because he is one of the only kids there. It was comical last year at the fur buyer. They let him go first in line and then stoop in the background and were yelling at the buyer " you better give that kid a good price, he's your future".

So after completing his trapper ed course last year the kid has pretty much run his trap line by himself. After some near catches he finally connected. His grandma is happy between the coyotes and hawks they have killed about 30 of her chickens. He has been doing good on muskrats too, 24 so far. The neighbors have him trapping their ponds cause of the damage they are doing caving in the banks.
That's really cool, good for him. I've never heard of a trapping ed course, is that a requirement in your state ?

That's really cool, good for him. I've never heard of a trapping ed course, is that a requirement in your state ?
Yes it is required in WI, unless your a farmer on your own land I believe. It is no joke either, it took weeks to finish. Probably at least 300 test questions. The funny thing it had very little to do with the trappers saftey. It was more towards the rules/laws and doing whatever possible to only catch your target animal, making sure you don't get somebody's pet.

Really cool, definitely a lost art. I wish fur prices were better to encourage more youth. I had fur checks of several thousand bucks when I was in HS, and that was 1980s dollars!

Wow, that was the good old days. I remember they were good when I was in h.s in the 90s. My friend got $60 for a mink, 2 years ago we caught one got $6 for it green. My son is happy if he makes $100 a year, doesn't realize it probably cost me $200 a year to support his trapping. I love to see him outdoors and his dedication. Makes it worth it for me.Every morning he gets out before school and hops on the utv in 15 degree weather to check his line, latter comes home from school, throws his books in the house and it's off to check his water sets.

So awesome to see our youth getting into anything outdoors, trapping really needs to gain this generation!

Great job raising an outdoorsMan Rusk!

Last edited:
Wow, that was the good old days. I remember they were good when I was in h.s in the 90s. My friend got $60 for a mink, 2 years ago we caught one got $6 for it green. My son is happy if he makes $100 a year, doesn't realize it probably cost me $200 a year to support his trapping. I love to see him outdoors and his dedication. Makes it worth it for me.Every morning he gets out before school and hops on the utv in 15 degree weather to check his line, latter comes home from school, throws his books in the house and it's off to check his water sets.
Very cool, and rare. Most hunters can fish, but not all fisherman can hunt. Trappers can hunt, and fish, normally. They understand wildlife movements like nobody else, when good. Don't know where you are, but there are a lot of people wanting a good trapper. I can see in the future your son capitalizing on nuisance animals or bountys.

Is he trapping your Rusk County place?

That looks like a lot of fun.

Is he trapping your Rusk County place?

That looks like a lot of fun.
We set a couple up there while bowhunting, had a lot this year on camera. We usually don't have many up there. He caught this on our property in southern WI.

He almost caught another last night. Unbelievable! I don't think you can get any closer. You can see the 3 coyote tracks in the dirt. The trap pan where they need to step is right in the middle of those 3 tracks a couple inches down from that maple whirly bird.

Attachments

• 1130211430.jpg
    1130211430.jpg
    414.6 KB · Views: 40
He almost caught another last night. Unbelievable! I don't think you can get any closer. You can see the 3 coyote tracks in the dirt. The trap pan where they need to step is right in the middle of those 3 tracks a couple inches down from that maple whirly bird.

Probably catch it tonight. Bowhunters think they're good when they get their quarry to step within 15 yards, try and get them to step on a 2" trap pan, and you're doing something.

Probably catch it tonight. Bowhunters think they're good when they get their quarry to step within 15 yards, try and get them to step on a 2" trap pan, and you're doing something.
You called it swat. It came back just like you said. Great big one. I'll put up a pic latter. I had to get to work.

Congrats to the young trapper. Canines are not easily caught like coons.

Wow, awesome!

Great job young man!

He said thanks. He caught number 3 about a month ago before the snow came. It doesn't look like it in the photo but this coyote was really dark, mostly black. One red,one silver, and 1 black.

Attachments

• 1226210836.jpg
    1226210836.jpg
    467.8 KB · Views: 26
  • 1226210841.jpg
    1226210841.jpg
    357.9 KB · Views: 28
Nice job!!