Fertilizer reccomendations

Mattyq2402

5 year old buck +
My trees range from 1 season old to 5 years. Varieties of apple, crab, and pear. Is there a blanket formula for applying fert to established trees? Morse provided me with a reccomend of 19 19 19 years ago, seems strong??? I haven't fertilized in a year or so and looking to apply this spring..

Do the fertilizer stakes work? Any specific date for timing for application?

Also do the variety of trees get a diff fert or is it universal to all types ie pear, apple, persimmon

Use 12-12-12 fertilizer, triple 19 can burn roots. Use 1cup 12-12-12 per 1 inch diameter of tree, two or three times per year starting early in the year at green tip. Stop fertilizing before July. If new growth exceeds 24”, cut back on fertilizer next year.
Also do the variety of trees get a diff fert or is it universal to all types ie pear, apple, persimmon
universal. Although peaches usually need extra nitrogen (urea)

Last edited:
Too much water and/or too much fertilizer can make excessive water whips.

Some say permissions shouldnt be fertilized. This may be mature permisson advise though.

IF you add mulch to your trees, its a good time to put fertilizer on the ground, then cover it with mulch.

You got a decent amount of trees, soil test might be a good idea.

I try and get triple 10 or as close to it as I can.
I only use one cup around drip line on my fruit trees whether they are two year old or ten year old. I normally only do it around bud break then leave them alone.
IMO better to under fertilize than over fertilize. I don’t want any really fast growth, late growth, burnt roots or overspend on fert.

My orchards are mostly for wildlife, I might take a different approach if they were commercial.

I’m new to persimmons so haven’t done much fertilizing with them except for triple 10 in the area I wanted to plant them the year before I got them, suggested by Ryan from BlueHill.

10-10-10 .......... same as H20 above. I don't fertilize past June 10th or so. That way I don't get a late flush of new growth that doesn't have time to "harden-off" before frosts hit in the fall.

10-10-10 works well .... I'v had 19-19-19 burn roots and kill trees, was all I could get at the time but learned a lesson.

I rarely fertilize fruit trees, but if I do, I use 5-10-10. Not a big fan of too much N., and a friend of mine that went to Penn state and worked at Ernst Seed recommended that.

I think it depends on your soil. I had a soil test performed. I apply 5/8ths cup of 44-0-0 polymer coated urea and 1 tablespoon of potash per tree under 1" in diameter each year in spring when the frost goes out. If my soil weren't naturally high in phosphorous and didn't have low buffering capacity for nitrogen and potassium, I think the recommendation would have been different.