Fertilizer question

One day, some day we need to get a thread started for a discussion of fertilizer, nitrogen especially. We need to beat the life out of it like we have with lime. We debated high calcium lime and high magnesium lime; particle size; pelleted vs ag vs barn lime. And just about anything else of perceived great importance. Nitrogen is even more complicated in source and form, how it acts in the soil, effects of temperature & humidity. What happens to it if it rains a lot or doesn't rain at all - and a whole lot more.

That really sounds serious and I don't mean for it to be. It would be an interesting conversation over a couple glasses of sweet tea, don't ya' think? Where's the winking smiley face icon?

You sold it to me with glass of sweet tea!

One day, some day we need to get a thread started for a discussion of fertilizer, nitrogen especially. We need to beat the life out of it like we have with lime. We debated high calcium lime and high magnesium lime; particle size; pelleted vs ag vs barn lime. And just about anything else of perceived great importance. Nitrogen is even more complicated in source and form, how it acts in the soil, effects of temperature & humidity. What happens to it if it rains a lot or doesn't rain at all - and a whole lot more.

That really sounds serious and I don't mean for it to be. It would be an interesting conversation over a couple glasses of sweet tea, don't ya' think? Where's the winking smiley face icon?

Fire it up FarmerDan, I'll stand around and listen.

I'm down for it.

giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to fertilze my pasture. Granular

where it spilled there would be an epicenter of death 💀 but around that the brome easily grew three times as tall!

I always looked for 200 units per irrigated acre of N. But if you like earthworms don’t add it all at once. IMO.

20 units applied during new seeding is where I am happy.