Fertilizer for clover

WI hunter

A good 3 year old buck
I have a couple small clover plots that I would like to put some fertilizer on, and was wondering what would be a good mix. I know I should do a soul test on them, but that's just not gonna happen right now. I allergen help.

Peter

I have a couple small clover plots that I would like to put some fertilizer on, and was wondering what would be a good mix. I know I should do a soul test on them, but that's just not gonna happen right now. I allergen help.

Peter
I use a 6-24-24

5-20-20 or 0-20-20 at our camp.

You don't want to add N so the first number should be as low as possible and 0 is best. Legumes seem to be more responsive to K than P in general if you are not going to test. The only issue is that without a test you won't know how much to apply so you will just be guessing. With small plots the cost is not that high so the waste is not going to cost that much.

Thanks,

Jack

As others have stated, No nitrogen. 0-20-20 or 0-25-25 is a great place to start. If you have a fertilizer plant close to you, they will have something close on hand. Clover makes it's own nitrogen, so when you add nitrogen in your fertilizer you are feeding grass and broadleaf weeds. If you can find 0-46-0 and 0-0-60, this would be an even better alternative to 0-20-20. The 0-46-0 would give you more than twice the phosphorus and 0-0-60 will give you three times the potassium per bag.

Last edited:
I use clover topper that i buy at Agway. I believe its 3-10-10

I have high phosphorus. I need potassium. Consider sulfur. You will not hurt yourself with a soil test. pH and OM takes a long time to address.

Most commercial fert from the co-op has some nitrogen in it. Dap is 18-46-0 Map 11-52-0 then mixes are just blended from there.

Believe you can get super phos or something like that an it is 0-45-0 or pure rock crushed rock phos but they are not as common an more esspensive if sourced.

I'm of the opinion that a little N never hurts. Especially early in the season when the soil has not started to warm yet an the microbes are not as active in the soil helping produce N.

A common mix for legumes in my area is 9-23-30

I just use this stuff. Anyone know an analysis on it? I wonder if my bank is getting deposits or robbed. Keep putting off a soil test, but things seem to grow. 20180327_140043_resized.jpg

huh---never thought of using jelly beans!