All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Favorite Soil Test?

Catscratch

5 year old buck +
How or who do you send your soil tests to? Local co-op or do you ship it somewhere on your own? Best out there?

I'm a slacker when it comes to soil test, I did it one time to get a general idea of what my soil was like...I probably should do all areas I plot, they are pretty close to each other but I'm sure they have had different amount of fertilizers applied over the years.

I sent it to Biologic and you get back something similar to this...I cut and paste parts of 2 pages ..

soil.png

I use AgLab Express in Sioux Falls. They are not the cheapest place to get a test from what i've heard, but I really like the layout of the sample and the clarity of data you get. This sample was $33. My buddy in fargo pays a lot less and gets no actionable data from his test.

http://aglabexpress.com/

sample.PNG

Biologic I get E-mail results in less than a week.

Biologic I get E-mail results in less than a week.

That is the great part. But they don't give OM.

I use AgSource. Go to link and fill out form. They will mail you the kit with instructions. Results are emailed and a hard copy is mailed to you. Usually takes less than a week. I can not remember cost but it wasn't much.

I use AgSource. Go to link and fill out form. They will mail you the kit with instructions. Results are emailed and a hard copy is mailed to you. Usually takes less than a week. I can not remember cost but it wasn't much.

Do you get OM with that test?

http://uwlab.soils.wisc.edu/farm-soil/

In Wisconsin, just send it to the UW Madison Soil Test Lab. $8 per sample, includes pH, Lime requirement, organic matter by loss on ignition, phosphorus and potassium plus recommendations. There is a $15 foodplot test, but I get the Ag test and specify a low 2.5 ton/year alfalfa yield for the recommendations. If you can improve your soil to grow acceptable alfalfa, you can grow any foodplot very well. The Calcium + Magnesium, Boron, Zinc, Manganese, Sulfer-Sulfate tests can be done for an extra $3 each.

X2 on AgSource Lab

In NC the Dep of Ag does the test. Free, just may have a wait in the spring.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Not all soil labs are created equal. A number of labs have cheapened their testing procedures in order to profit. The result of this, as you can imagine, is less than ideal soil test results. I like Midwest laboratories, out of Omaha, NE. They are one of the few soil labs that have not given in to an inferior simplified testing procedure for maximum short term profit.

In NC the Dep of Ag does the test. Free, just may have a wait in the spring.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Wow your lucky that's a few dollars in savings !