fastest way to plant big seedlings

bigeight

5 year old buck +
I have a pile of 20" and 2-3' Norways, to put in the ground the first week of April. I have plenty of help (9-10 guys), but not sure the right tool for the job? I have 3 -6" hand augers, I could use a tractor or 2 with an 8" auger, or each guy with a traditional shove.

The site is a sandy loam that is in fallow field. Most of the planting area has short grass, that is not very thick. Also have a small area that was in crops last year.

Any input would be appreciated :)

Large cordless hammer drill with auger bit, or handheld gas powered auger, skid or tractor with post hole digger. Lots of ways. You should be able to rent all mentioned

Thanks Jordan,
I have all of the tools you mentioned. I was wonder what the fastest/ best tool for the job was for 2' Norways was? I will have 10+ guys, and hoping to do almost 6k in a weekend. Was hoping to shave some of the "learning curve" time off :)

Thanks Jordan,
I have all of the tools you mentioned. I was wonder what the fastest/ best tool for the job was for 2' Norways was? I will have 10+ guys, and hoping to do almost 6k in a weekend. Was hoping to shave some of the "learning curve" time off :)
Holly moley thats allot of trees to plant!!! Thats great you got that many helpers! Could always use a single plow if your doing lots in one area. Then just back fill around the trees by hand then use a blade to back fill the rest

You the same bigeight as on qdma forum? Glad to see you here! If your who I think you are I know you have allot of knowledge to offer the forum especially with growing the chestnuts!!! Welcome

If you have a nice open area that you are planting the trees in, this is what I do with larger seedlings, I run my subsoiler where I will be planting them and the move over about 12" and run the subsoiler through again. Then I go back and still plant with a shovel but the ground is nice and loose from the subsoiler.

Last edited:
The 2-3 footers by hand. The other 6000, I would get a mechanical tree planter. Two guys ride on the planter and alternate planting trees and drinking beer. One guy on tractor pulling them around. The other guys can make sure they are straight and step them in.

I'll check into the tree planter and see if I can locate one to rent/borrow, etc. Would I have to cut the roots at all to use the planter with those 20" Norways? I have heard that about those planters, is trees with decent root systems have to be trimmed to go through the planter???

I can't help myself, but will add my two cents.

I once planted soem Norway spruce transplants and thought they stood still much longer than the seedlings.

In my ground, the seedlings grow just as well.

Good to go !

5,500, 2-1 Norways in 10 hours with 12 guys

Three 6" power augers going, guys rotating in on them, 8 guys following planting trees, and another dipping trees in Water sorb. Well oiled machine !
We did about 500 with dibble bars as well. Thanks NF for the tip about the paint stirrer for getting the roots in. Pure gold !

Sandy loam soil after a day of rain was perfect planting conditions. Couldn't have asked for a better situation.

The trees were whopper 2-1's. Most were 24-36" advertised as 14-18"

Thanks for all the input guys !

Good to go !

Three 6" power augers going, guys rotating in on them, 8 guys following planting trees, and another dipping trees in Water sorb. Well oiled machine !
We did about 500 with dibble bars as well. Thanks NF for the tip about the paint stirrer for getting the roots in. Pure gold !

Wow! Great job getting all of that done! After that bad summer a few years ago, I've been using Water Sorb, when applicable too. Cool stuff.

My bad for jumping on this late. I've used a regular post hole digger with pretty good success. Depending on the size of the roots, it might be too big.

Good to go !

Sandy loam soil after a day of rain was perfect planting conditions. Couldn't have asked for a better situation.

The trees were whopper 2-1's. Most were 24-36" advertised as 14-18"

Thanks for all the input guys !
That's a good days work, congrats.

Really nice with the auger to have that powdered dirt right next to the hole for quick cover up/planting. We were drilling a hole about every 20-30 seconds When we were going good...

20150403_112842.jpg

Good looking trees:
Screenshot_2015-04-04-09-47-50.png

looking good bigeight!!

3 person crew works really well.

Good job on your plantings!