Extended hunt

4wanderingeyes

5 year old buck +
I guess being people didn’t shoot many deer, the problem must be that people didn’t have enough days to hunt them, so extending the season sounds like a great idea. It wasn’t that there weren’t many deer left after their terrible regulations, it must have been that hunting for 5 months wasn’t long enough.

IMG_6249.png

Operation Kill’em All.

Just cause the government says we can do something doesn’t mean we have to. We all know they have way more bad ideas than good.

I feel IL is 1 step away from putting a bounty on them. They said our sniper program needs a "retooling".

I feel IL is 1 step away from putting a bounty on them. They said our sniper program needs a "retooling".
Has a state fallen further from stardom than Illinois due to mismanagement in history! In the late 90’s early 2000’s it was the best state in the country by reputation.

Their policies of adding more seasons, adding more weapons, etc. did not work and the harvest was down. They keep focusing on giving out more opportunities, tags, etc. to kill more does, but there are no measures to require this to happen. Essentially they offer a carrot with a stick.

It's about as dumb as Ohio is handling the Canada geese, tax payers pay to run Refuges around the state to promote the geese.
In the summer the state rounds up geese at about every state park and euthanizes them by the hundreds then burns or buries them at taxpayers’ expense.

But during season let some poor schmuck shoot a goose a few minutes early or late or one over the limit and Mr. Green Jeans chases them down like a felon and writes them a big old ticket.

Extending the January bow hunt to end of January will have little impact. Kids will be back in school which means parents will be tied up with weekend school activities.

I know a lot of things are different, but last winter at this time, I had 10-20 deer regularly in my yard almost daily, this year, I may get a picture of a deer on my property every few days. I know, apples and oranges, but this is the least amount of deer I have seen all year this year compared to any other year.

I'm headed out this afternoon for the holiday hunt. My biggest concern is shooting a buck that already shed it's antlers. Plenty of deer in SW WI. They've had the extended bow season here for several years.

Reactions: cbw
I know a lot of things are different, but last winter at this time, I had 10-20 deer regularly in my yard almost daily, this year, I may get a picture of a deer on my property every few days. I know, apples and oranges, but this is the least amount of deer I have seen all year this year compared to any other year.
On the contrary I typically don't have a whole lot of deer on my place once winter settles in. This year I'm still seeing plenty. Once the snow comes I'm sure that will change.

On the contrary I typically don't have a whole lot of deer on my place once winter settles in. This year I'm still seeing plenty. Once the snow comes I'm sure that will change.
I agree, last winter I had 3+ feet on the ground, so the deer hung out in my plowed driveway, and path to my wood yard, they wouldnt jump off the plowed path unless they needed too. This year, no snow, or deer.

I agree, last winter I had 3+ feet on the ground, so the deer hung out in my plowed driveway, and path to my wood yard, they wouldnt jump off the plowed path unless they needed too. This year, no snow, or deer.
I've never found a shed so maybe this is the year! Usually the bucks are long gone by now other than a pass through.