Experiment gone awry

bjseiler

5 year old buck +
Our farm is normally a weekend place but because of Covid, we've been here since March. 40 acre ag field between our house and our timber. Field directly behind is a view of about 10 acres. Last year it was farmed soybeans. Farmer was rotating to corn this year but we did not want to stare out our back windows at corn so we decided to have them just leave that 10 acres fallow this year. Spring was fine. Had a field of wild garlic that was really good to eat. I should have stopped then, burned the growing weeds, and planted something. I didn't. Now I'm looking back at about 90% ragweed (normal and giant) with a little velvet leaf thrown in for good measure.

I tried mowing but the ruts from last falls harvest are awful and I can't get my little kubota 2501 or side by side through it without getting thrown around. I got about half mowed as you can see in the picture but it is already growing back. I did one round of gly on the mowed part but need to take another shot at it. I can't even gly the back half because the tractor ruts are so bad.

Was planning on just putting out rye in September after I spray again. Any other ideas? I honestly have no idea how long the ragweed will live and if there is anything that will follow it better or worse....

Timber behind corn on two sides and beans on another. I don't think the deer are bedding in the ragweed.

Attachments

• IMG_6746.JPG
    IMG_6746.JPG
    140.4 KB · Views: 70
Will the farmer disk the area for you? That should help fill in the rust and make a smoother area for you to spin on what ever you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m sure he’d be willing to prep the field and maybe even plant a “cover crop” if you were willing to cost share on seed and let him farm it next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My allergies are acting up just reading your post.... Id try to disk it and plant Rye and everyone wins! Hopefully he'll volunteer to smooth it out for you.

I’ll give it a try but I’m doubtful the farmer will do it. He has to truck his equipment over here. Worth a shot.

Broadcast the rye and walk away then.

Id try to disk it and plant Rye and everyone wins! Hopefully he'll volunteer to smooth it out for you.

Yep, this would be my approach as well. Except maybe a mix with some clover as well. :emoji_thumbsup:

If the farmer won't do it, I would throw rye and then try and mow it super low.

Thanks for the suggestion. Farmer said no problem and he'll do it.

As much as I hate to say this since it t, rag weed is beneficial to the deer. While you may not notice, they do feed on it rather heavily, or at least they do down here.

I have not seen a lot out there but this guy showed up last night. Might be the angle like when people push their bass out in front of them to look bigger......but he seems to have a good sized body.

Attachments

• T_00007.JPG
    T_00007.JPG
    21.8 KB · Views: 42
The information below came from another site.

1598559274747.png

I have not seen a lot out there but this guy showed up last night. Might be the angle like when people push their bass out in front of them to look bigger......but he seems to have a good sized body.
If anything i'd say the picture is making the rack look smaller. That is a damn nice buck.

On the bright side the farmer did agree to disk the field and plant radish, turnips and rye. .......but he just got to it today. Unless I get some kind of rain and warm weather miracle for a few weeks, I’m not too hopeful.

On the bright side the farmer did agree to disk the field and plant radish, turnips and rye. .......but he just got to it today. Unless I get some kind of rain and warm weather miracle for a few weeks, I’m not too hopeful.

Put 1/2 of it to winter rye just in case..