Established switchgrass?

j-bird

I was out today and noticed something that I have not seen before with my limited experience with switchgrass. Where I burned it off earlier this spring - it is already 6" (no seriously 6") tall. I thought it wouldn't grow until it really warmed up. This will be its third year in the ground. It averaged 5' or more last summer. I don't know which variety of is either.

Do those of you that have more experience with switch see this?

Switch is one of the early starters. I can see green coming up through the old stools at my place too. Your burning helped to get the sunlight to the ground and that also helped the new growth to start early.

Look at the graph in the link below, but keep in mind this is from TN.
https://utextension.tennessee.edu/publications/Documents/SP731-C.pdf

Switch is one of the early starters. I can see green coming up through the old stools at my place too. Your burning helped to get the sunlight to the ground and that also helped the new growth to start early.

Look at the graph in the link below, but keep in mind this is from TN.
https://utextension.tennessee.edu/publications/Documents/SP731-C.pdf
Thanks Native - I just was surprised to see the growth this soon.

I frost seeded switch in March, when should I expect it to pop? I haven't seen anything coming up yet. Just curious when to expect to see it.

I frost seeded switch in March, when should I expect it to pop? I haven't seen anything coming up yet. Just curious when to expect to see it.
I will be honest - I have no idea.

I drilled mine in early summer and I am not sure how that will affect the germination result. I am sure others have frost seeded it so hopefully they will chime in on the matter.

It's hard to say for sure. Switch is notorious for sometimes being slow to break seed dormancy. But, if you got some hard freezes on wet soil you have a good chance of seeing it as soon as your temps start warming a little. I've known of people drilling it in the early spring in the south and not seeing it until the following year. The seed need to go through some freezing and thawing in order to germinate. Some of the other NWSG species are not as prone to that as switch.

Good luck.

Next May :)

No, actually you should see some by the end of May to mid June. But don't expect much the first year.

The seed has been through it all, snow, rain, freezing temps, & warm temps. I'll be keeping an eye on it. Weeds are starting to come up, I plan on spraying in the next few weeks. What do you guys use to kill the weeds and not the switch?

The seed has been through it all, snow, rain, freezing temps, & warm temps. I'll be keeping an eye on it. Weeds are starting to come up, I plan on spraying in the next few weeks. What do you guys use to kill the weeds and not the switch?

As long as the weeds aren't bad enough to shade the ground don't worry about them. Also, if you can mow above the switch, that is better than spraying IMHO. I think you take a chance when spraying very young NWSG. It will be a slow process, but once you get switch germination and some growth, it will take care of most weeds. Just make sure the switch is getting some sunlight. Mother nature will take care of the rest. The time to worry is when the switch starts getting shaded out.

Last edited:
i simply mowed to keep the switch exposed without cutting the switch itself and sprayed a broadleaf herbicide like 2,4-D or crossroad. Toward the end of the summer the switch was lost in the foxtail, but by then it was OK. Mine didn't get to 12" tall the year it was planted.

I typically wouldn't be concerned much, but I was out today and I have some areas that the "wild" clover seem to be getting pretty thick in places. This switch will be in it second full growing season. Should I be concerned?
switch and clover.jpg