Empty soybean pods

Binney59

A good 3 year old buck
I have a stand of Eagle soybeans, 2 different seed types, that are very thick and tall with lots of pods. I noticed this weekend that most pods are empty or contain a very small seed.

Will deer likely still graze them when they are fully dry? Not sure if they can recognize that the pod is empty or if they even care. Do pods themselves provide much for nutrition or in late season is it all about the bean itself?

Thanks!

Were they planted late or was it really dry there?Where are you.Also is the plant brown and are the pods open at all?

Planted early, central wisconsin. I don’t feel as though it was overly dry and my other field produced full size beans. The plants are wilted and turning brown but still have some color to them. I don’t see any open pods.

I am curious as to why it happened but much more curious about if the deer will still hit them hard in the late season or not? Thanks

Are they Forage beans? They must be. They are not designed to produce pods in the north. They will take heavy browsing pressure and the plant grows faster and larger than your typical ag bean, but the growing season in the north isnt long enough for them to produce seed. Even in the south I dont think they produce like an ag bean would.

Ive planted Eagle Forage beans in MN a few times and I do not care for them and find traditional Ag beans a much better crop to plant.

I dont think the deer will eat them. Once the plant has dried down, theres nothing to eat. No grain and no palatable forage. Sorry, now you know.

Yes they are done and whats there is there.I haven't seen the pods as a very preferred food.Can you broadcast wheat or rye before the leaves fall and hopefully it will also rain.I planted the enlist beans from Real World and they did good.Probably yielded more than my ag beans.I broadcasted wheat in the beans and it makes for alot more food

I went with a mix of 3 types of Eagle beans, two designed for more forage/tonnage and one for pods, pod haeven. I am still holding out hope that the deer will be foraging through to pick off the pods that do contain seeds but have other plots and species planted as a backup.

Thanks for the insight!

We do Eagle beans because they are the only beans that withstand the deer browsing here. We have been planting them for 10-15 years. They generally do not produce beans, just empty pods due to the short growing season here. We plant them for a summer draw and nutrition and usually end up with what you have in the fall and it won’t draw or feed the deer in my experience. We got them in early this year and it stayed warm until last week, the Eagles actually produced beans this year. Large Lad and Big Fellow. Interested to see if they are a big draw later in the season. The only Eagle product that has produced beans for us here in the past were the Managers Mix, which has an ag bean in the mix.