Ecoboost Owners

bowhunternw

5 year old buck +
I bought a 2013 f150 with the 3.5 ecoboost. The thing that I am not liking is that on the initial startup of the day it takes 3 to 5 seconds of cranking before it fires up. I feel like this cant be normal to this motor. It has been cold out but not that cold. Any owners out there experience something similar?

I have 2015 Ecoboost, does not sound accurate

mine has the 5.0l and it was 30 below with wind chill and she fired right up yesterday and it's got 140k

I wanted to get the 5.0 but found a ecoboost that had decent miles and in the price range I was looking for. The thing is that I got a 30 day warranty, brought it down to get looked at and all they could come up with is get a block heater. It starts fine when it hasn't sat for a while but it is really annoying me in the mornings. That is why Im just trying to get some feedback on if these motors just suck in the winter or what could be the problem. Thanks

Oh and I did put a new battery in it. Cranks fast just takes a lot of cranking.

You may have to take it to a Ford dealership to diagnose, then take finding back to your dealer. Block heater is bs

I have a 2018 F-150 with the smaller 2.7 ecoboost. Starts quick even in below zero cold. I don't think you start time is normal bow.

Replace spark plugs with Motorcraft spark plugs, and gap them to .28". That should fix your problem.

They are really easy to do yourself.

This also applies to you other EcoBoost owners as well, if you have over 30k on your plugs, replace them with Motorcrafts, and gap to .28", it will help a lot.

Last edited:
30k on plugs?!
don't tell me it's the same silly plug design as the 3 valve 5.4ls had??

Yea well the dealer I bought it from wasn't much help (chevy dealer). I stopped and talked to the ford dealer he suggested new plugs and running a couple tanks of premium through, in case the previous owner was running e85. Well the combination of new plugs and the premium seemed to solve the problem. The plugs were fairly easy to do and the old ones were pretty burnt up. Did hear nightmares of the 5.4 sparkplugs. I run with an older 4.6 at work and the plug threads stripped out and the plug shot out of the head, going down the road. That is really the only problem that truck has ever had with over 150,000 on it.

I have 2013 Ecoboost and it starts quickly in the cold. I did have to replace the timing chain this spring at 80k miles which was $2500. They fixed this design in 2015. TO add insult to injury the parts were backordered. After 6 Ford pickups I'll be trying a GM

I have 2013 Ecoboost and it starts quickly in the cold. I did have to replace the timing chain this spring at 80k miles which was $2500. They fixed this design in 2015. TO add insult to injury the parts were backordered. After 6 Ford pickups I'll be trying a GM
Yes I have been reading that is a common issue with these. Wish they would have designed it so it was a little easier to access the timing chain. Hopefully I don't have that issue because I really like the motor. Seems way smoother than the v8's.

I have had this in several cars, it might be a leaky fuel check valve. Try turning the ignition to run, wait 5 seconds, then start. The fuel pump will reprime the line during that 5 seconds. If that helps it's the check valve. Unfortunately the check valve is usually part of the fuel pump and the fix is a new fuel pump.

my 2012 with 115K miles does it about half the starts after sitting a while. I believe its pretty common. One thought was the fuel pressure bleeds off. Read up about it on f150online.com forums . I dont worry about it.

30k on plugs?!
don't tell me it's the same silly plug design as the 3 valve 5.4ls had??

No. No issues with plugs breaking, Ford had the spec of .38-.41 when it came out, then came out with a way to make it run better, start easier, get more power, and better economy. Regap the plugs to .28. But don’t do it to your old plugs, there is 6, they are cheap, put new OE plugs in it.

They have some issues with water pumps and timing chains, typically about 150k is when you need them, so just plan on it before then, and you shouldn’t have any issues. Most shops will be about $2100-2400 for Ford parts. I recommend Ford parts.