Dwarf chinquapin or chinquapin?

Catscratch

5 year old buck +
I believe I'm in the native range of both. How can you id them? What's the differences? I wouldn't want to order something that I have growing already?

I am not sure how to ID differences in the leaves other than the DCO is smaller. All I know is the growth habit is totally different. DCO is, well a dwarf. True Chinkapin get much, much bigger - like a regular native oak. Regular chinkapin also prefers rocky/course type soils. I have regular chinkapin on my place, but no DCO that I am aware of.

Ya, I have lots of Chinkapin but some are big and some are small. I don't know if I have a mix or just a healthy age structure of regular chinks.

If the smaller ones are in the same area as the larger or are on the same type of soil I would suspect that they are the same - just different ages. If they are a distance away with a different soil type/condition you may have both. Sorry I can't be more help.

They are everywhere! I have them on top of the hill, side of the hill, and bottom. Good deep soil and clay rocky soil. I suspect they are all regular but I would like to find a way to id them. I'm tempted to just order a couple of dwarfs anyway just to do it.