Dumb seeding rate question

Peas are a 1/4" in depth. Buckwheat is 1/2"-1" depth, no deeper.
I'm not so sure on any of that MO. I'm 100% sure the numbers you listed above have worked for you, and most likely others, but they may not work in every area, all the time. I would suppose it may depend on the variety or type one was planting. I generally tend to stick with widely proven recommendations like the ones below.

University of MN-Extension Service paper on growing field peas in MN: Evenly place the seeds in the soil having a uniform depth and cover them with one inch of soil; then firm the soil over the seeds.

University of IL-Extension Service paper:
Spacing & Depth
Plant peas 1 to 1-1/2 inches deep and one inch apart in single or double rows. Allow 18 to 24 inches between single or pairs of rows. Allow 8 to 10 inches between double rows in pairs.

Cornell University growing guide for peas: Plant seeds 1 to 2 inches deep, 1 to 4 inches apart in rows 18 inches apart. Shallow planting is best when soils are cool and wet. Plant deeper if soil is dry.

Purdue University Alternative Field Crops Manual for cowpeas: For forage purposes, the crop may be seeded in rows or broadcast (solid-seeded). Seed should be planted 1 to 1 1/2 in. deep and good seed-soil contact is important.

Interesting study on yield to planting depth response of cowpeas(25.4 mm = 1" 50mm is equal to 1.9"):
Table-2.
Mean cowpea dry matter yield.
Sowing depth (mm) (kg/ha)Dry matter yield
20 2581
30 2631
50 3429
70 1492
90 1464

Of course this is if you wanted to achieve maximum yield, again, for food plots it may not matter? But why not try to achieve maximum yield for your plotting dollars? Here planting at almost 2" gave them a noticeable advantage over the shallower planting depths.

Purdue University Alternative Field Crops Manual for buckwheat:
D. Method and Rate of Seeding:
The most satisfactory method of sowing buckwheat is with a grain drill that plants the seed one to two inches deep. Poor stands are likely when seedings are more than two inches deep.

North Dakota State University publication on buckwheat production:
The preferred seeding depth is 1 to 1.5 inches if the soil
moisture for germination is adequate. Seeding deeper
than 2 inches should be avoided.

And finally, a publication from the University of MO-Extension on buckwheat: Typical seeding depths are 1 to 2 inches, depending on depth to soil moisture.

I have always tended towards planting at the depths and rates recommended by the USDA and/or University Agriculture programs who have thoroughly tested this stuff on acres and acres of different soils and all types of climactic conditions. On the sands where we plotted, a 1/4" to 1/2" planting depth would not hold enough moisture to even germinate a larger seed like pea or buckwheat. And, while you are right when you point out that in food plotting it probably doesn't matter, I like to give anything I have ever planted the maximum help I can to achieve next to farm quality plots and yields, even if it is just deer food and if that means following planting depth recommendations by folks who study those things daily, then that is what I try to recommend to others as well.

Last edited:
I will be trying to use a rev tine tiller 2" deep. Then broadcast peas and buckwheat, then cultipack. Nothing should be over 2" deep.

Are you planning to let the BW go to seed? If so, be prepared to get volunteer BW. It is very good at second cropping itself. Many guys won't plant it because of this reason, we welcomed all the "free" seed we could get and our deer would browse the BW, so we let it grow.
I don't plan on it going to seed. Plan is to cut it down & put rye & clover/chicory mix in.

;) So chain harrow spikes up or down when seeding cereal grains over planted row crops? I am assuming spikes down, but many of the smaller chain harrows can be flipped over and used the other way, with the spikes out of the ground.
I've done spikes down. With good results.

Tooln, sorry to hijack the thread.
Not to worry.

what type of peas are you planting? the reason I am asking is I have never planted peas.

Would a acre and a half of peas be enough to take the pressure off Ag beans. Or would i be better to go with a forage soy bean?

1-1/2 acres of peas wouldn't make it to 6" tall with WI deer numbers, in MN they may last for multiple years. If anything, I would try forage soys. We planted Tyrone soybeans back on our place and they did very well, far better than any ag bean. The deer still decimated them on 3/4 of an acre without protection, but they withstood the browsing for a few extra weeks before they were killed.

what type of peas are you planting? the reason I am asking is I have never planted peas.

I have some left over AWP's that I figured to mix with the BW.