Driveway Cost?

Spike_Horn_Shooter

5 year old buck +
What would you guys expect to pay for the installation of a 400’ driveway, and camper pad. Probably have at least two culverts and maybe some wet area dredging for fill. Soil is heavy clay, stays wet in the low spots. Property is in Northwestern NY - St Lawrence County. Quarries are 10 minutes and 30 minutes away. I’m thinking 12’ wide, 40’ long, 1’ deep = 180 ish cubic yards of gravel or 20ish Tandem loads at $500/load ($7 gallon diesel FML) is 10k. Double that for installation??? So probably around $20k.

Just bought the property this winter. It’s 3 hours from my house. So before I can get real serious on the habit plans, I need a place to stay - especially for momma and the 3 kids.

I’ve built up roads before at my old farm - and I remember how quick gravel seems to disappear once you start spreading it.

Am I way off base on my cost estimates?

I know I could probably drag a camper out there once it dries out, but the goal is to do things the right way, the first time.

It’s raw land now and I figure if myself or a potential buyer in the future would want a permanent structure - this pathway makes the most sense for a driveway.

The goal is driveway and power year 1-2 and potentially a well and septic year 3-5.

We have camper now, would like to add a small amish shed or shipping container for storage in the near future. A nice pole barn is a while out.

Hopefully anything I spend on the infrastructure now has a decent ROI. I’d have to assume that a driveway, power, well and septic just about doubles the value of my initial land investment.

That’s not really the goal - I just want to watch my kids shoot some deers - but I’m trying to always keep an exit strategy, should the need arise.

Do you have any place on your own land that you can get the fill from? Then just purchase the gravel for the top layer?

What you made I had installed about the same things back in 2004, it was $7000, but in places it was about 4 feet of fill in one area that was low. I think $20k may be a little light. I would guess $25,000

There are spots where you could pull fill from the wet areas along the driveway. I’m not that experienced with soil work - so I don’t know if that’s a viable option.

if your going to do it right, you need to put a base down first then pack and top dress to form road, no way will 1 inch be enough if doing it right
more like 6 inches of base plus top coat of gravel or road millings !
and then you want to have some drainage off the sides too!
if again you really want to do things right!

Soil types are going to make a huge difference. I've not spent a nickel on a driveway at my land. It's all sand.....and you can drive most anywhere without leaving a wheel track....unless in deep standing water. Mud and clay are going to be much different.

I agree with soil type being a big driver as it will impact cost to buildup. You say 12' wide? I think you need to look at the build up as about 35' wide. Start with 12' wide surface gravel drive, 5' skirt on either side, and then 6' tapered slope on either side depending on buildup level. You want the build up to allow for draining and drying to maintain firm drive surface. One or two wet spots can be a real headache. Getting the right excavator can help design the appropriate size and lay-out based on your soil conditions.

Other considerations for you or future owners .. The drive will need to support larger trucks such as LP Gas, septic cleaning, construction trucks if you build, and where will you bring in electric, etc.

You want it done right so it adds value for you or future owner. Get multiple bids and ask for references for other similar work they have done you can go and inspect.

Buy once, cry once :emoji_wink:

if your going to do it right, you need to put a base down first then pack and top dress to form road, no way will 1 inch be enough if doing it right
more like 6 inches of base plus top coat of gravel or road millings !
and then you want to have some drainage off the sides too!
if again you really want to do things right!
1 Foot Deep. Even with driveway fabric, that might not be enough.

I agree with soil type being a big driver as it will impact cost to buildup. You say 12' wide? I think you need to look at the build up as about 35' wide. Start with 12' wide surface gravel drive, 5' skirt on either side, and then 6' tapered slope on either side depending on buildup level. You want the build up to allow for draining and drying to maintain firm drive surface. One or two wet spots can be a real headache. Getting the right excavator can help design the appropriate size and lay-out based on your soil conditions.

Other considerations for you or future owners .. The drive will need to support larger trucks such as LP Gas, septic cleaning, construction trucks if you build, and where will you bring in electric, etc.

You want it done right so it adds value for you or future owner. Get multiple bids and ask for references for other similar work they have done you can go and inspect.

Buy once, cry once :emoji_wink:
That’s why I want to do it right - if your delivery trucks are getting stuck, the price tends to go up!

First thing to do if you want to do it right is strip of the topsoil. Topsoil is not a suitable soil for building. The topsoil should be thrown to the side to be used later on the slopes along stone. This will keep the stone from running off the road or blowing out. After the topsoil is stripped drive a dump truck down drive and see how it holds up. Any soft spots should be undercut till you hit solid ground or a couple feet and filled with larger stone. You have to start solid or you will fight it forever. I would use the clay from a wet area. It would work but it would need to be disked up to dry it out and then put back and compacted in lifts. It would cost more time then it's worth. I would see if anyone has clean free fill that they need to get rid of. Maybe some one digging a basement.

Find a couple local excavators/contractors. They probably have leads on some local fill sources. I agree with what Ruskbucks says above. You might have to include some drainage ditches/ tiles to keep the water out. You'll always have problems with the clay if it continues to get wet. If the clay is soft to deep depths if might be less expensive to throw in the geogrid. That stuff will work wonders.
http://npkprotect.com/catalogue/Geogrid for roadbed stabilization/

As long as there is equipment out there, I'd probably dig two fish ponds. One for perch and walleye, the other for catfish, smallmouth, perch, crappie, and pumpkinseed.

As long as there is equipment out there, I'd probably dig two fish ponds. One for perch and walleye, the other for catfish, smallmouth, perch, crappie, and pumpkinseed.
Racist!